Sudden jumping engineers

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to acknowledge now that yes, we can't talk to fish and ask them why but anyone have some good thoughts on why fish would begin to jump after a decent residency in your tank?

I had, as of yesterday, a pair of engineer gobies for roughly 8, 10, 12 months, can't remember, but they've grown from a couple of inches to roughly 6-7 inches. Both jumped early this morning and with one jumping when I was up to hear it. I was able to save him but the first jumper was too far gone.

The remaining one has been out a little more today than usual and started to spaz when I turned to wavemakers down to feed mode. He kept swimming up and down and against the side of the glass. I decided to put the oddly misshapen DIY net cover on and in the process he jumped again, this time behind the tank. Luckily I was able to get him from behind the tank and back in though not quickly, looked rough, assuming that was slime coat sloughing off but he swam back down to one of his caves.

What can/should I check for beyond stray voltage?

I check parameters this morning after it happened to confirm there were no oddities in the standard testing. Ammonia, Nitrites 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm, salinity 1.025, pH 8.4.

Inhabitants: 1 oscellaris clown, 1 mandarin, 1 lawnmower blenny. No other fish displaying odd behavior though I did lose (literally cannot find) an oscellaris that had been in there roughly 12 months.

Tank: Prostar 60 - 42g DT, 13g Sump

Recent changes: Aiptasia population increasing, drainpipe developed a strange gurgle. I did a thorough cleaning of glass, what I could of top of drain pipe, moved some sand due to a couple of cyano patches yesterday, cleaned filter sock.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you check drain for missing clown ?
lawn mower blenny chasing engineers ?

OP
OP
T

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you check drain for missing clown ?
lawn mower blenny chasing engineers ?
I believe the drain began the random gurgling before the clown disappeared.

I haven't seen the lawnmower mess with them unless it's been a lights out thing. They seem to stay to themselves most of the time. Even at feeding time there's no aggression or chasing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back