sudden urchin death

shollis2814

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
599
Reaction score
345
Location
Nashville, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I noticed my tuxedo urchin dropping spines and not moving. I did a quick parameter check. Nitrates 5-10, salinity 1.024, dKh-11, calcium 380, ph 8.1. There is hair algae, caulerpa, bubble algae, and some coralline in my tank as well as some other food sources, so I don't think it was a food issue. I left him be for a bit, but he died.

The only thing I can think of was that I did have a temp swing issue last Sunday. It was caught and rectified, but it did dip into the upper 60s The urchin seemed to recover. Could it have been a delayed stress death from that?
 
I had a lot of cyano and coralline. Tufts of hair algae, and some detritus. I feed a mix of omnivorous frozen and phytoplankton a couple of times/week.
My understanding was they also munch on coralline. I have so much of that it is a calcium suck.
 
See I have same issue. That's why I have an urchin. But my coraline uses all my alk. Urchins are pretty hardy. I have had my tank hit mid 60s with out loosing Anything.
 
Now, I *did* scrape a lot of coralline off the glass, but my rocks are covered. He also spent some time on my clove polys getting some algae off the frag base, but I don't think they would have hurt him.
 
Last edited:
Typically the first suspect is water chemistry, second nutrition. You can feed most Urchins pieces of Nori. They really need a decent amount of coralline.

I used a clip and the urchin went right to the Nori clip every time.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new