Suddenly, inexplicably...I can’t do chalice!

Cherie cook

Cherbear
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what’s going on but suddenly (well, within the last 6 months) I can’t seem to keep chalice, favia and the like alive. I have SPS, torches, hammer, alveopora, mushrooms and Duncan’s....zooanthids galore. All doing great. But give me a chalice and it’ll be dead or well on it’s way within a month, guaranteed. I’m stumped.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

I am the same way with acan. Sometimes it has to do with them not liking the flow and lighting set up for your tank and never get a chance to acclimate.

I found once a new acan, and war coral for me, started to go down hill I would pull it and give it an iodine bath and reset it in a different location. Worked for me 50/50.

ssster2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm struggling with Chalice as well. For example I bought three SPS frags a couple weeks ago. I decided to add a Chalice frag as well, the SPS are doing good so far but the chalice has bleached almost completely. It's weird all other LPS in the tank are thriving, Acans, Torches and favia. Softies are doing good. It's only the chalice suffering.
Admittedly my tank is going through a bit of an algae bloom and my nutrient levels aren't optimum, too low. I expect that may be part of the problem but the rest of the coral seems unaffected. Idk why chalices hate me! lol
This is my second try with similar results and I should note that the previous attempt the nutrient levels were on point.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back