LPS in trouble, needing help

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Red Sea Reefer 350 (90 gal total volume) All other equipment and specs in my tank showcase.

Having some serious issues with my euphyllia (hammers and torches) as well as some chalices.

2 months ago they were flourishing, but unbeknownst to me I had a phosphate level rising, which got to .90 on the Hanna (maxes out at .90 so could’ve been higher. Also had some all swings trying to dial that in but that didn’t seem to affect anything. I stopped all my coral feeding of aminos and reef roids and reduced my feeding.

About about 6 weeks ago they started to decline, starting with my hammers not opening up like they were, then my torches not opening up. One small one outright died, and now my large one that had about six heads has a head dying. No visible brown jelly. A few of my chalices have died, lost some gorgeous lobos, and have some lobos and chalices receding.

What’s crazy is that even with those levels, my more difficult corals like acro, monti, digis, and branching cyphastrea were and continue to look great.

So I started phosphate-e, lowering it over the last 6 weeks.

My current parameters are as follows:

Ph - 8.3
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Alk -9.2
Po4- .28 (down from .90+)
No3 - 35.9
Cal - 495
Mag - 1200

Obviously my No3 is a bit high, and my mag is a bit low. But for my rainbow acro to be happy with polyps open and my branching cyphastrea looking gorgeous but my hammers and torches looking like crap, I’m just puzzled.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Red Sea Reefer 350 (90 gal total volume) All other equipment and specs in my tank showcase.

Having some serious issues with my euphyllia (hammers and torches) as well as some chalices.

2 months ago they were flourishing, but unbeknownst to me I had a phosphate level rising, which got to .90 on the Hanna (maxes out at .90 so could’ve been higher. Also had some all swings trying to dial that in but that didn’t seem to affect anything. I stopped all my coral feeding of aminos and reef roids and reduced my feeding.

About about 6 weeks ago they started to decline, starting with my hammers not opening up like they were, then my torches not opening up. One small one outright died, and now my large one that had about six heads has a head dying. No visible brown jelly. A few of my chalices have died, lost some gorgeous lobos, and have some lobos and chalices receding.

What’s crazy is that even with those levels, my more difficult corals like acro, monti, digis, and branching cyphastrea were and continue to look great.

So I started phosphate-e, lowering it over the last 6 weeks.

My current parameters are as follows:

Ph - 8.3
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite-0
Alk -9.2
Po4- .28 (down from .90+)
No3 - 35.9
Cal - 495
Mag - 1200

Obviously my No3 is a bit high, and my mag is a bit low. But for my rainbow acro to be happy with polyps open and my branching cyphastrea looking gorgeous but my hammers and torches looking like crap, I’m just puzzled.
I’ve had a similar issue with a couple of my LPS, I dropped phos from 1.12 to near enough 0 and they all had a fit, I’m still losing a hammer to this even after allowing phosphates to incline this past week.

SPS love lower nutrients whilst LPS adore the higher nutrients. Also I’ve found LPS to be much more finicky to swings in phosphates and nitrates than SPS are. Also I’ve found LPS (especially torches) to hate any imbalance of bacteria in the water.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the issues start after you started dropping your phosphates?

What other changes have you made from about 2 months prior to when you started noticing the issues?
No. I started dropping my po4 after the issues started. Otherwise not much in terms of changes. I had a cheap RODI that was putting out less than desirable water after a thousand gallons so I got a new nice 5 stage. But I tested the old stuff and it had some po4, like .40, but relatively low tds. I quit the roids and aminos and phyto. That’s about it.

OP
OP
LMSquire

LMSquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a similar issue with a couple of my LPS, I dropped phos from 1.12 to near enough 0 and they all had a fit, I’m still losing a hammer to this even after allowing phosphates to incline this past week.

SPS love lower nutrients whilst LPS adore the higher nutrients. Also I’ve found LPS to be much more finicky to swings in phosphates and nitrates than SPS are. Also I’ve found LPS (especially torches) to hate any imbalance of bacteria in the water.
Have you figured anything out?

Btw that leopard wrasse I ended up with based on your recommendation has been an absolutely awesome addition to the crew. What a personality he has!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back