Suddenly there were millions!

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About an hour after lights out, I went to the tank with my flashlight...like you do. There are millions of things suddenly. I do this every night, and I see the usual...worms, pods, serpents, etc. Never these. The almost look like small fish. Tear drop snapped, with eyes. They are attracted to the light. If I leave the camera light on they will swarm it. The anemone is catching and eating them. I only have two clown fish, and thought they are mated, I haven't noticed any eggs...So, I very much doubt that is what they are. I turned off the over flow...Just to get whatever it is a chance to not get thrown into the sump. It's a very dark and neglected place down there! (No judgements!) What do you guys think? Sorry about the sound int he video. Couldn't figure out how to mute it.

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they teardrop-shapped like below? Do you have crabs in your tank? This is a pic of a crab zoea:

CpHaK8UWgAIUR-e.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they teardrop-shapped like below? Do you have crabs in your tank? This is a pic of a crab zoea:

CpHaK8UWgAIUR-e.jpg

I think the ones in my tank are a bit bigger than that. I do have crabs however. I can't stop watching them! No sleep tonight. Thank you. Just looked at your in wall build...that's so epic and organized!

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't begin to count the number of times I've snuck down in the middle of the night to look at the tank. Get both a red and a blue flashight to enhance the exxperience. The red doesn't scare the critters and with the blue you get great flourescence.

Night tank is the best! I didn’t know that about the red. I’ll have to get a red light :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have a thriving colony of mysid shrimps in there.

They're pretty carnivorous, will help you with excess food cleanup, as well as feed on smaller 'pods (and one another...). Good snacks for whoever can catch 'em.

~Bruce

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should take some out and put into another tank just for them and see if they survive and what they turn into!

They were gone wine lights came up this morning. Just checked now and there they are. Maybe even more than last night. Looks like a swimming snow globe!

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They're pretty carnivorous, will help you with excess food cleanup, as well as feed on smaller 'pods (and one another...). Good snacks for whoever can catch 'em.

~Bruce

Okay. I looked those up. You got me convinced. I think that’s them! This tank is three years old with nothing new added. I wonder where they suddenly came from!? Thanks for the input.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

~Bruce
I thought mysis were freshwater? Or is there a marine version too?

BootyPup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I just started feeding frozen mysis. Surely they didn’t come from that...right lol
It is funny, those coincidences.. I could have sworn after I started feeding frozen mysis and stuff, I also got outbreaks of what I now realize to be mysis shrimp....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Likely hitch-hiker shrimp from the ocean. They are a good food source. I don't believe any harm but heavy in numbers

JVU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool, thanks for the videos! I love spying on tanks at night. Always interesting and sometimes downright shocking what you see.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cool, thanks for the videos! I love spying on tanks at night. Always interesting and sometimes downright shocking what you see.

Can you then imagine whats going on in the ocean?

OP
OP
M

Mshanej

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s my favorite too. Night time seems the coolest.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back