Suggestion for the next fish to add

reeferdugong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys im thinking of adding another fish to my Reefer 170 tank (43g). My current livestock:
2 Clowfish
1 YWG
1 male Banggai cardinal
1 firefish
1 orchid dottyback
2E647AE3-5889-4B74-8AA0-EB1B42BFC0E4.jpeg

Im actually quite happy with my current stocking but ive been struggling to get good foam formation or skimmate of my skimmer. Sometimes it foams but most of the time it just bubbles. Probably i dont have enough bioload.

they live in harmony and the aggresion i see is from my orchid dottyback who sometimes chases my firefish but only when it’s feeding time. My firefish backs away but it doesn’t really get spooked or hide. Other than the feeding time, they just ignore each other.

if i were to get another fish, which fish should i get and won’t be aggresive to my current fish or won’t get bullied by them?

I always wanted a mandarin but i’ll probably wait like a year until i can get a good pod population going. (thinking of getting an algae reactor).

Or do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm always a fan of shoaling fish. Got 5 chromis in a 180g and despite their tiny size they are always out and moving around. Anthias would be another (pricier, larger, and potentially prettier) option.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank your size, I would suggest a blue chromis, or a Talbots damsel. They are both peaceful in my 55 and add a pop of color and life to the tank.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider a pink streak wrasse or cherub angel. However, I don't think you have enough hiding places in that tank. The rock is quite open, which is nice for aesthetics, but allows a bully to chase non-stop. Maybe adding a "tangle" of tonga branch.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're taking all suggestions, I would keep it where it is. 6 fish is a good amount for 43 gallons, and they will grow.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id do a arc eye hawk. they look trippy under actinic and are peaceful and easy. filefish would be something different.
Dang I got a mean one then. I thought they were aggressive after trying a arc eye in my tank. My tank is pretty stocked and my arc eye would dive from the top rock to strike my other fish. He was tough because he went after fish twice his size. Must have gotten territorial somehow.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up exchanging for a falco hawk fish, he avoids others and likes to hide towards the lower aquascape. Both look really cool but I agree with you, @NoahLikesFish the markings on arc eye look wicked under blue lightning.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back