Suggestions for a new test kit?

Jennyw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an API test kit. I've been told it sucks. It tells me my parameters are fine.
I brought water to the lfs, she tested it ("I'll bring this back and dip it" we're her words) my phosphates were .3, nitrates 10
What test kit should I get?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read and hear the Red Sea test kits are good

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea algae pro kit is accurate enough for no3 and po4, not the easiest tests but not super priced either.

Used salifert for most of the last 3 years before switching the the hanna alk checker. Still use salifert for cal and mag.

Tbh api was about as accurate as salifert with calcium. I just hate counting drops.

Also other than weekly alk tests with using an aws i dont really use the cal and mag often at all, maybe once every few months?

OP
OP
Jennyw

Jennyw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how would you read these colors?I think it's 0 phosphate and 5 nitrates

IMG_20190119_133624.jpg

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, how would you read these colors?I think it's 0 phosphate and 5 nitrates

IMG_20190119_133624.jpg
I haven’t used API kits in many years. But, aren’t you supposed to look down through the tube the long way?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and ph. Salifert for mag, kh, and calc. Hanna for phosphate.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post 51 (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...s-salifert-api-hanna-triton-awt.234660/page-3). I would not trust Red Sea's magnesium test kit.

After trying both API (ammonia is ok but alkalinity was markedly inaccurate for me) and Elos (accurate, but hard to read endpoints for alkalinity), I now use Salifert for most things (presumably accurate per above link, precise, easy to see endpoints). I do use the Hanna high range copper for copper (only one I can read!), and API for ammonia.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We tried many test kits for the primary parameters we measure. Here's where we ended up.
  • Nitrate - NYOS - This test is color comparison based like most, but we find it much easier to discern the differences, especially in the range we target 1-5ppm.
  • Phosphate - Hanna Low Range - We target .03. Having a number gives us more confidence than color comparison.
  • Alk - Hanna - easy to use and no guesses. Some people question the accuracy even if it is consistent. We don't care. Consistently where our corals are happy works for us.
  • Calcium - Hanna - the test is a bit involved. There may be better or easier solutions, but Hanna is consistent and we don't have to compare colors.
  • Magnesium - NYOS - titrate method to color change, but the change is definitive and the chart gives you a number. Confidence.

On these, we would welcome ideas / suggestions from those more experienced.
  • pH - Salifert - We added pH testing last and have only used the Salifert test. It's inexpensive. We have no idea if it's accurate, but it is consistently 8.2. We aren't ready to offer a "recommend status" on this one. What do others do here?
  • Iron - we do not test for iron. When our caleurpa / chaeto growth slows, we dose a bit of iron for a week or so. We'd like to test, but haven't explored options yet.
  • Strontium
  • Iodine

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Hanna Alk meter but I would say for everything else your hard pressed beating salifert test kits.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ALK, Ca, and Mg, Bulk Reef Supply has extensive you tube videos on the test kits commonly available, how they work and they rate them.

For nitrate, I like the Red Sea Pro. Salifert is good and cheaper. You are judging shade of pink which depending on your color discernment can be good or awful.

For phosphate, I use the Hanna ULR phosphorous. It is the most sensitive test on the market. For a bit less sensitive, the Hanna ULR phosphate is good. Most test kits just are not sensitive enough to be useful.

Calcium, Hanna has a low rating. For this, Red Sea Pro or Salifert.

Alkalinity, Hanna is the best, IMO. But Red Sea Pro or Salifert are fine.

Mg, Red Sea Pro drives me crazy. I use Salifert. Hanna is not good. I believe that Aquaforest is best in class.

Back