Suggestions for my frag tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter BenHyder
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BenHyder

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
171
Reaction score
30
Location
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30 gallon frag tank (the dimensions are 41x23x8) with a 20 gallon sump. It has a Coralife light that has 2 150 watt metal halides and 4 actinic t5 bulbs. I only have about 3 lbs. of live rock and there are 2 Zoas, 2 montipora frags, 1 birds nest, and one candy cane coral and right now I have 2 asteraea snails. There is a 750 gph Hydor Korolia powerhead and there are 2 Loc-line returns. In the sump I have a filter sock and 2 heaters. And in the refugium is a softball size clump of chaeto algae. I am also dosing 2 part. I want to know if anyone has any suggestions that would make my setup better or if there is anything I am doing wrong. Please let me know if there is something I need to fix. Here are some pictures.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425166394.440448.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425166435.471929.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425166454.758786.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425166476.909704.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1425166500.323520.jpg
 
I think your system looks good.I would suggest moving the metal halides up higher if you notice any bleaching or faded colors.I notice you have a thermometer,is the sensor located up top?I personally would add more liverock to the sump and keep track of water parameters on a regular basis.
 
Yes, the sensor is up top and I am going to add more live rock eventually. So far there hasn't been any bleaching of the corals. Thanks for responding!
 
Yes, the sensor is up top and I am going to add more live rock eventually. So far there hasn't been any bleaching of the corals. Thanks for responding!
Sounds good to me,try not to fill it up too fast!
 
Well the coral seem to be doing just fine and I can't hang them because the ceiling is just foam tiles and they won't hold it.
 
You should be able to move the frags towards the edges if you do notice any bleaching.I would save the areas directly below the lights for corals that prefer high light.Also keep a eye on the temperature up there during hot days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new