Suggestions for my last fish...

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I have 2 Black Ice Snowflake clowns, a solo Bengaii cardinalfish (it's mate arrived DOA), 3 blue-green Black Axil chromis, and a fat Lawnmower blenny (Edric).

The cardinalfish kinda hangs out in a sheltered area between the big rockpiles.
The clowns either hang in one corner, or explore around a bit, mostly sticking to the lower half of the tank.
Edric lives in the big rock pile, occasionally darting out a small distance to pick at the algae on the rocks.
The chromis mostly hang near to the rocks, quick to dart inside.
Everyone but Edric comes out during feeding time, pretending that they have never seen food before, then resume their normal routine 10 minutes later.

I'd like to get one more fish (or pair).

My tank is roughly 34"x17"x16", 44g in the display, 68g total.

I'm just starting to put corals in. I have several Zoa frags still on the rack, and just placed an order for a Kenya Tree, Neon Pineapple Tree, Blue Cespitularia, Pom Pom Xenia, lavender mushroom, and a branching green star polyp. I'm also planning on a LTA in the near future, which will hopefully be isolated into a corner.

I have 2 AI Prime 16HDs, and can dial up about as much flow as I'd ever need (RO Varios return, RO powerhead, an Icecap Gyre 2k, plus a small bit from a Fluval canister that I run most of the time.

I'd like to get something brightly colored, a bit showy. Something that would spend a lot of time swimming about in the upper half of the tank, something not shy. A Coral Beauty or Flame Angel would be perfect... but the tank is apparently too small for them.

Suggestions?

--Gray

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want a fast swimmer which is tough in a smaller tank. I wonder if a smaller wrasse would be ok..

A firefish doesn't add much movement but they're showy and spend time up top in the open.

You need some cool inverts too. Cleaner shrimp are fun, they will do your nails.. I love brittle and serpent stars. Oh and you can't go wrong with a goby/pistol shrimp pair if you have fine sand!

mnreefer327

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's your last fish, a six line wrasse could be a good option. Also pink streak and possum wrasses are great smaller wrasses.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's your last fish, a six line wrasse could be a good option. Also pink streak and possum wrasses are great smaller wrasses.
I agree with pink streaked and possum wrasses; I would be very cautious about sixlines as they are notorious for being bullies as they mature (which is too bad, as I'd LOVE to have a sixline).

OP
OP
gray808

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaner shrimp are fun, they will do your nails.. I love brittle and serpent stars. Oh and you can't go wrong with a goby/pistol shrimp pair if you have fine sand!

I have a cleaner shrimp order place, should arrive Tuesday :)

I'd like to get a star at some point. Actually had one in my cart this week, and ended up getting a couple more frags instead, lol.

I'll look into those wrasses (wrassi?).

--Gray

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy or flasher wrasse active swimmer and very attractive fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back