Suggestions for Sump build?

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attempting to DIY a sump from a 20 long. Here's what I sketched up... Any suggestions?

258836d04df020f13af3aa6d9c1429e0.jpg

DT: 75 gallon mixed reed with corner overflow
Skimmer: Coral Box D700 (10.6x10.6" footprint)
Return: Fluval S2

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the skimmer to the fuge the water should go under a pane of glass THEN over, then from fuge to return, see how one pane is over flowig, then the water goes under a pane of glass? Switch that around, it should overflow from the fuge then go under the glass to the return. If you need me to pull out microsoft paint for you and show you I can.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like this?

e0fce415ef007cf527afd3b5e385d455.jpg

That's my original drawing but someone told me the bubble trap needed to go after fuge. And to make the first baffle at 7" the tallest. Make other two 6"

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More like this?

e0fce415ef007cf527afd3b5e385d455.jpg

That's my original drawing but someone told me the bubble trap needed to go after fuge. And to make the first baffle at 7" the tallest. Make other two 6"

I am guessing you are having the drain in the skimmer section? The drawing is good, my only suggestion would be to make the last baffle the same size as your first in the skimmer section because it will overflow the first baffle and will mess with the skimmer water height.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add another pane of glass (for the water to go under) after the overflow from the refugium
this will trap micro bubbles from the skimmer and is also a place to put any form of media that you might need

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add another pane of glass (for the water to go under) after the overflow from the refugium
this will trap micro bubbles from the skimmer and is also a place to put any form of media that you might need

So essentially two bubble traps? One dividing each section?

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KK you might want to consider diverting some of the water flow around the refugium. If you're using a deep sand bed and trying to grow pods you really will do better with a slow flow through and not the full drain and return flow. I like having the return in the middle of the sump and a small tap flowing water into the refugium at one end of the sump. That way you have water flowing into the return from both ends of the tank and the fuge light won't grow algae in your skimmer. Many hobbyists do it the way you have it drawn and apparently it works that way so I'm just giving you my take on layout.

hawkinsrgk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KK you might want to consider diverting some of the water flow around the refugium. If you're using a deep sand bed and trying to grow pods you really will do better with a slow flow through and not the full drain and return flow. I like having the return in the middle of the sump and a small tap flowing water into the refugium at one end of the sump. That way you have water flowing into the return from both ends of the tank and the fuge light won't grow algae in your skimmer. Many hobbyists do it the way you have it drawn and apparently it works that way so I'm just giving you my take on layout.

+1 I use to have mine setup this way with the 180G

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so if I swap the return to the middle, what determines the water level in that section? The first section with skimmer has to be 7 inches. I gain 2 gallons in the sump when everything turns off.

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a slightly larger version of a sump. It can be scaled down as long as the skimmer will fit in it's chamber. It's a good idea to have the skimmer during construction and remember the return pump chamber water level will go up and down so you have to fill the tank to overflow and the sump to the level you want it. Once the pump is running then mark the water level in the pump chamber and set your
P6180133.JPG
ato to maintain that level.

OP
OP
kkgaskin90

kkgaskin90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to plumb this style, I run a T off the main line with a ball valve to the fuge, correct?
(1) Is that the only valve I should put in? (2) what prevents the water from dropping straight down instead of some diverting at a 90 degree at the T?

Harold Green

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're feeding the fuge from the overflow the valve will have to be in the main line below the tee. Mine's fed from the return so the valve is on the small line running to the fuge. You can do it either way but I prefer to filter out most of the detritus before it reaches the fuge. Personal preference and I sized my return pump so I still have a return volume close to the maximum overflow rate of the tank. If your return pump is a little large you can always bleed off some of the flow back into the sump whereas a too small pump will never allow you to adjust your flow to the tanks maximum return rate.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back