Suggestions please on what (reef safe) fish to add? Thank you.

Zhel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

We are in the process of cycling a new bigger tank. We would like to transfer all the livestock that we have in our smaller tank once it’s “cycled” and all the readings are stable. We got 5 fish in our small and wondering which fish do you think will get along with my older fish. We got;
- Clown Fish (Orange)
- Lyretail Anthias
- Pygmy (Cherub) Angel Fish
- Pyjama Cardinal
- Pink & Blue Spotted Goby.

The above fish were put in 3 batches, 2 per batch, 1 fish died (black & white saddleback clown fish) due to “bullying” as what the expert from the LFS said. There was a misinformation when we got the black and white clown fish, apparently it will get along but did not.

Want to hear your suggestion if you may? Thank you in advance.

Have a great day!

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't said size of tank. Obviously research compatibility...those species characteristics on LiveAquaria and other sites are accurate. Yes, you can find individual exceptions reported by reefers, but counting on a individual being uniquely compatible with others is not a strategy for success.

Also, make sure you add fish slowly unless your adding ammonia at 2-3ppm daily on that tank. Cycled doesn't mean it can handle full load. Would add like you did to original tank.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 4 month old 29 gallon to a 75 gallon tank without cycling. I moved my rock, sand and then their water and added fresh new salt water, like you would do acclimating. Had no problems. But I also only had two clows and RGB with a few crabs. When adding new fish, go slow after that so the bioload/bacteria catch up.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from a 4 month old 29 gallon to a 75 gallon tank without cycling. I moved my rock, sand and then their water and added fresh new salt water, like you would do acclimating. Had no problems. But I also only had two clows and RGB with a few crabs. When adding new fish, go slow after that so the bioload/bacteria catch up.
If you're adding rock and sand from old tank...that bringing in the bacteria for ammonia processing. I didn't see the OP state he's moving rock...if so, no issues of course.

OP
OP
Z

Zhel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply... Moving from 2months 20 gallon tank to 50 gallon. All the live rock (~20lbs) and live sand will be moved too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back