Welcoming fish to your home!!! How do you add a fish to your tank?

How do you add a fish to your tank?

• Move the fish from the bag and place it directly into the display tank.

Votes: 18 5.1%
  • Short acclimation before placing the fish into the display tank.

Votes: 139 39.6%
  • Long acclimation before placing the fish into the display tank.

Votes: 71 20.2%
  • Move the fish from the bag and place it directly into the quarantine tank.

• Short acclimation before placing the fish into the quarantine tank.

Votes: 67 19.1%
  • Long acclimation before placing the fish into the quarantine tank.

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Other.

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcoming fish to your home!!! How do you add a fish to your tank?

You just found the fish you have been looking for or maybe it was a fish at your local fish store (LFS) that caught your eye, and you couldn’t leave without it. Congratulations! Now what?!?! Maybe it arrived by mail from an online fish seller, or you brought it home from a store or from a frag swap, so now it needs to get transferred into your system. How do you add a fish to your tank? It is possible to take it out of the bag and drop it into your display tank or you could acclimate it for a period of time. It is also possible to set up a quarantine system, but even if that is the direction that you take, do you have an acclimation process as you move the fish into the quarantine system? Of course, you may not have a single solution and it may depend on how long the fish has been in the bag or on some other factor. Please let us know in the related discussion how you add fish to your tank and feel free to share tips and recommendation for the R2R community!

NJDragonet_OrangeSpotFilefish.png

Photo by @NJDragonet; Orange Spotted Filefish

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“We differentiate ourselves from other vendors by offering our customers full transparency into our facility and practices. Setting the industry standard for shipping techniques, accurate high-quality photos, hard to find corals, and customer service. For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I feel my new fish is ready for the DT, I place it in an acclimation box for a few days.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on if the fish is shipped or from store for me. If shipped, I acclimate to temp and salinity before adding to qt. If from lfs, it goes straight into qt from bag. I qt for flukes, ich and velvet for 6 weeks total before adding to tank.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a add a fish quickly to the display and immediately feed the heck out of it and let it settle in person. I understand and respect the process of quarantine, but I lost a fair few more fish to the qt process than I do now. Since making the switch my fish are less stressed and I've only had one loss and it was to uronema

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do long acclimation : the first part is floating the bag. The second part is drip acclimation while the bag floats. When the fish is in the tank, I let it settle for 24h before feeding it. I don’t want to strees my mew fish out with food in the first day in my tank.

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it a sensitive fish like Cory cats, I will slow drip acclimate them. Tetras get clipped and I let them get used to the temperature. When I get my saltwater CUC and corals, I plan to slow drip. I even got a small kritter keeper to do it.

Dee tre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy my fish from one source and they keep itnfor 2 weeks before i bring it home. Then its acclimated for about 1 to 2 hours depending and placed in the display... 3 years 8 fish and 0 fatalities or diseases

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a add a fish quickly to the display and immediately feed the heck out of it and let it settle in person. I understand and respect the process of quarantine, but I lost a fair few more fish to the qt process than I do now. Since making the switch my fish are less stressed and I've only had one loss and it was to uronema
I also have lost too many fish in QT process and have had much better success floating in the bag 10-15 minutes, then release. I also feed heavy because when they eat, their chances of living a long life in my tank goes up about 95%.

Gman83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted other. All fish but 1, I have bought quarantined. I float them to temp acclimate and put them in a bucket to get salinity close (either through drip or doing a .25 cup tank every 10 minutes). If the QT person isn't Dr. Reef, I will do a ruby reef rally dip, then set them into DT. I just did my first full QT on my own, so that fish went in the QT tank.

Shaina Carey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have lost too many fish in QT process and have had much better success floating in the bag 10-15 minutes, then release. I also feed heavy because when they eat, their chances of living a long life in my tank goes up about 95%
I too feed fish when I get them in the tank. If they don't eat, I usually say "They will probably be dead by tomorrow." Made me start buying from my LFS because they are always healthy, unlike PetSmart or Petcoc

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It entirely depends on the situation - how long the fish has been in the bag, how far off the bag water is from the tank, etc. Here is an article I posted on acclimation:

Jay

Grog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only a Petco in my town and I'm likely their only consistent saltwater customer. If I see a fish I like, it is usually in their tanks for weeks. I use them as an offsite quarantine, and leave the fish there, and check in on it every few days. After a few weeks, I buy it and add to the family.

Their store is about 7 minutes from my house. Typically, when I bring fish home, and I float the bag to temp acclimate for about 15 minutes, and then transfer the fish to my DT. Seems to be working.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I temp acclimate and put in the tank. A large majority of my fish are from a PetCo fairly near me. I think of 11 fish, only one was ordered online.
By the way the link works properly, but the sidebar has the wrong title
1708381302497.png

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have lost too many fish in QT process and have had much better success floating in the bag 10-15 minutes, then release. I also feed heavy because when they eat, their chances of living a long life in my tank goes up about 95%.
The other benefit of feeding is that it distracts the fish that are already in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back