Suggestions to lower nitrates/nitrites

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day frozen shrimp and a very small amount.

Aquarium inhabitants:
Clown fish x1
pincushion Sea Urchin x1
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp x1
Red ruby dragonette x1
Nassarius Snail x3
Emerald crab x1 adult (maybe 2 if the other one is still alive but I haven’t seen it in like 2 weeks) x1 micro baby
Brittle starfish x1
Sand sifting starfish x1

I have a 16 Gallon Biocube, ammonia, nitrate and phosphorous pads in the 3-tier filter chamber and a charcoal filter in the first filter chamber.

I have added purple up to my tank to get some beneficial bacteria growing to help the tank cycle quicker and nutrafin cycle (I’ve had it for about a month now). I’ve also added prime by sea chem. I’ve done multiple 1/3 water changes and removed any ornaments from the tank, I now have two live rocks in there only.

Also just learned the other day that it’s a lot harder to do a nano tank and it’s usually for a more experienced hobbyist lol…..just to make my life harder right?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend posting your parameters and tank age. Started with live rock or dry rock etc and maybe a full tank shot just to see how it's looking. There are folks here with more knowledge than myself that can assist but they'll need info.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also just learned the other day that it’s a lot harder to do a nano tank and it’s usually for a more experienced hobbyist lol…..just to make my life harder right?
I wouldn't agree with that at all, its no easier or harder than a large tank, in some ways, it even easier IMO

But what is the nitrate level, why is this an emergency lol?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites don't matter to us except when cycling and you cannot accurately measure nitrate if nitrite is present. Is your tank having issues or are you just trying to conform to some stated ideal parameters?

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't agree with that at all, its no easier or harder than a large tank, in some ways, it even easier IMO

But what is the nitrate level, why is this an emergency lol?
Nitrites are at 0.5, and nitrates at
Nitrites don't matter to us except when cycling and you cannot accurately measure nitrate if nitrite is present. Is your tank having issues or are you just trying to conform to some stated ideal parameters?

How long has your tank been up and running?
It’s been 4-5 weeks, used the nitrite and nitrate testing dropper kits. The nitrates are testing at 60ppm and nitrites at 0.5 based on my tests. I literally just did 1/3 water change on Saturday.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be as complicated or as simple as you want imo. For a 16 gallon tank, do a wc to bring the levels down instantly if its a concern. Is this an option for you? Not for nothing but carbon dosing imo is an experienced reefing technique and it seems like you are just starting out; just keep it simple. I could be wrong of course as is often the case :)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have about 1 inch white rock on the bottom and two live rocks
Good, so you have homes for bacteria populations.
Small water volumes change faster, so just keep an eye.

You could algae scrub also but would be a bit expensive.

Nopox is easy to use, just go slow and consistent.

Also, a 25% water change lowers nitrates about 25%.
You can use them as a nutrient managing tool.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as if your tank is freshly cycled.
I hope you will not label me as rude, but yes it is not recommended to test Nitrites levels in marine tank anymore.
It is expected that Nitrates would be high, freshly after cycling. The recommended way to lower them at this stage is to perform repeated, large water changes.
I disagree with reefer above about GFO and carbon dosing at this stage and for newbie reefer (pleased not be offended).
As far as skimming is regarded, there's very few reliable skimmers for nano tanks, so once more, water changes.

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, so you have homes for bacteria populations.
Small water volumes change faster, so just keep an eye.

You could algae scrub also but would be a bit expensive.

Nopox is easy to use, just go slow and consistent.

Also, a 25% water change lowers nitrates about 25%.
You can use them as a nutrient managing tool.
Thank you so much! I’ll be continuing the water changes but decreasing it from 33% to 25% like you said and I’ll do it daily until I see the change I need :) I was wondering if I was doing too many water changes but it’s good to know I can do it more often than I thought!

I’m gunna hold off on getting anymore corals until I have my tank under control.

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as if your tank is freshly cycled.
I hope you will not label me as rude, but yes it is not recommended to test Nitrites levels in marine tank anymore.
It is expected that Nitrates would be high, freshly after cycling. The recommended way to lower them at this stage is to perform repeated, large water changes.
I disagree with reefer above about GFO and carbon dosing at this stage and for newbie reefer (pleased not be offended).
As far as skimming is regarded, there's very few reliable skimmers for nano tanks, so once more, water changes.
You’re not rude at all, the information you gave me was helpful and you went about it in a much less condescending way than another person on here. Thank you :)

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I’ll be continuing the water changes but decreasing it from 33% to 25% like you said and I’ll do it daily until I see the change I need :) I was wondering if I was doing too many water changes but it’s good to know I can do it more often than I thought!

I’m gunna hold off on getting anymore corals until I have my tank under control.
Great thinking.

Water changes in small systems is “easy” and will help reset water chemistry each time. This is even more important in smaller water volumes.

the system needs time to be matured up in terms of algae and bacteria populations which help feed our corals and keep nutrients stable and in check.

Once this stability occurs, anything you drop in will thrive.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rude much? Don’t comment if you don’t have any help ******* :)
Not sure what you took such great offense to but your thread title suggests the need to lower nitrate/nitrite but your post gave no numbers or indication as to why, hence the question are you having problems or just chasing numbers? Many new reefers get sucked into chasing some ideal numbers they think are necessary for success for sometimes pointless gains and added frustration.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been 4-5 weeks, used the nitrite and nitrate testing dropper kits. The nitrates are testing at 60ppm and nitrites at 0.5 based on my tests. I literally just did 1/3 water change on Saturday.

Your tank is still super young. Doesn't sound like your cycle is complete yet.

You said that you have 2 pieces of live rock. Is that actual live rock or was it the white dry rock when you put it in the tank?

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still super young. Doesn't sound like your cycle is complete yet.

You said that you have 2 pieces of live rock. Is that actual live rock or was it the white dry rock when you put it in the tank?
It was dry Rock, but is slowly becoming live rock.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rude much? Don’t comment if you don’t have any help ******* :)
If you thought that was rude then you are going to struggle. It's true what they said. Nitrates don't matter when nitrite is present. You posted about an issue with no helpful information. Obviously this is a tank in the middle of a cycle. I'm going to be honest with you. You can't take an answer from a vet that is correct in EVERY SINGLE WAY, then this isn't the hobby for you. I would bag it all up and get out now. You are in for a very very rough time. Whatever you decide to do I wish you the best of luck!

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was dry Rock, but is slowly becoming live rock.
That's what I figured.

Your tank is still cycling most likely. Keep up on the water changes until your tank has no ammonia showing up on your tests.

I'm concerned about your urchin and starfish. Not much in your tank for them to eat and they will probably starve.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really have 0.5 ppm nitrite, then the nitrate is likely reading false high and there may be no reason to change water, with some kits, 0.5 ppm nitrite can read as 50 ppm nitrate.

I do not think a water change is in order.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back