Suggestions to lower nitrates/nitrites

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not rude at all, the information you gave me was helpful and you went about it in a much less condescending way than another person on here. Thank you :)

Wow, cell gave good advice and all you can do is bash him. You can be sure that’s not the way to get future advice.

Frankly, I think you should be apologizing to him. He gave a perfect answer, taking his own precious time to try to help you.

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I figured.

Your tank is still cycling most likely. Keep up on the water changes until your tank has no ammonia showing up on your tests.

I'm concerned about your urchin and starfish. Not much in your tank for them to eat and they will probably starve.
What can I add in for them to eat until the cycling is done?

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrites don't matter to us except when cycling and you cannot accurately measure nitrate if nitrite is present. Is your tank having issues or are you just trying to conform to some stated ideal parameters?
I don’t see what was even remotely offensive or rude about this post lol. I just saw the OP was complaining in his welcome thread about how someone was being already rude to him, assuming he was referencing this.

Someone taking the time to answer a question or give their opinion to help you out on something you asked is not being rude, whether you agree with it or not.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think maybe my question was a bit too direct or blunt and taken as either mocking or aggression. No worries.

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see what was even remotely offensive or rude about this post lol. I just saw the OP was complaining in his welcome thread about how someone was being already rude to him, assuming he was referencing this.

Someone taking the time to answer a question or give their opinion to help you out on something you asked is not being rude, whether you agree with it or not.
I’m a woman not a man…

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the topic, my suggestion is to be sure you actually have elevated nitrate, if that is the reason to do water changes. It is likely you do not, if the 0.5 ppm nitrite value is accurate (though it may not be).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added purple up to my tank to get some beneficial bacteria growing to help the tank cycle quicker and nutrafin cycle (I’ve had it for about a month now). I’ve also added prime by sea chem. I’ve done multiple 1/3 water changes and removed any ornaments from the tank, I now have two live rocks in there only.

This product?

I don't believe it contains bacteria. Some of its ingredients (the fine aragonite) are not useful to boost alk or calcium and may lead to false high test values for alk and calcium if any of the suspended particles (that cannot dissolve in normal seawater) actually make it into the test (where they will dissolve).

You added Prime. Do you have elevated ammonia? I expect the Prime is actually not doing anything useful in relation to ammonia, despite Seachem claims otherwise. Folks here tested it in many ways, including the way Seachem suggested, and found no reduction in free ammonia.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a woman not a man…
Honey, we are all men on this site. I get misgendered ALL DAY LONG. You are really gunna have to put on some big girl panties. I suggest Fifi's down the street. She works at bimart and gets an employee discount. She can get you some 5L's for about $6 for 6. That's cheaper than the DollarGeneral since they raised all their prices by 15 cents on the dollar.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can I add in for them to eat until the cycling is done?
The urchin eats algae off the rocks/glass and because your tank is new there probably won't be any algae in there for it to eat. I've never fed an urchin directly but you might be able to feed it nori. You can try searching this site for feeding urchins to see if anyone has done it before.

The sand sifting starfish might need target feeding as well. I've never kept one but this might help.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product?

I don't believe it contains bacteria. Some of its ingredients (the fine aragonite) are not useful to boost alk or calcium and may lead to false high test values for alk and calcium if any of the suspended particles (that cannot dissolve in normal seawater) actually make it into the test (where they will dissolve).

You added Prime. Do you have elevated ammonia? I expect the Prime is actually not doing anything useful in relation to ammonia, despite Seachem claims otherwise. Folks here tested it in many ways, including the way Seachem suggested, and found no reduction in free ammonia.

This is why I was concerned that her cycle may not be complete. Brand new tank with Dry Rock. Purple up probably won't do anything. I don't think Prime will help with cycling.

I've typically used a cycling product like this to help speed up the process with dry rock:

Last edited:
OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the topic, my suggestion is to be sure you actually have elevated nitrate, if that is the reason to do water changes. It is likely you do not, if the 0.5 ppm nitrite value is accurate (though it may not be).
Hey I tested again after a 25% water change and my tank is now at 40ppm, it’s decreasing now and I believe I was in the cycling stage, that’s why the nitrates were spiking :)

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The urchin eats algae off the rocks/glass and because your tank is new there probably won't be any algae in there for it to eat. I've never fed an urchin directly but you might be able to feed it nori. You can try searching this site for feeding urchins to see if anyone has done it before.

The sand sifting starfish might need target feeding as well. I've never kept one but this might help.

IMG_3395.jpeg

Does it look like there’s enough algae for the little guy?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I tested again after a 25% water change and my tank is now at 40ppm, it’s decreasing now and I believe I was in the cycling stage, that’s why the nitrates were spiking :)

What test kit? You still seem to be glossing over the nitrite issue on nitrate testing. I don't think one can even know if you have or had elevated nitrate. You'd see the same thing if nitrite was interfering.

In case you think this is some red herring, its not. It's a well understood issue with most nitrate testing. They can have different degrees of interference based on the specific design of the kit, but, for example, with the Tropic Marin nitrate/nitrite kit, 0.5 ppm nitrite will falsely read as 25 ppm nitrate. Depending on how you cycled, 50 ppm nitrate may not be likely to attain, but 0.5=1 ppm nitrite is.

1701892291721.png

OP
OP
riteblazed420

riteblazed420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit? You still seem to be glossing over the nitrite issue on nitrate testing. I don't think one can even know if you have or had elevated nitrate. You'd see the same thing if nitrite was interfering.

In case you think this is some red herring, its not. It's a well understood issue with most nitrate testing. They can have different degrees of interference based on the specific design of the kit, but, for example, with the Tropic Marin nitrate/nitrite kit, 0.5 ppm nitrite will falsely read as 25 ppm nitrate. Depending on how you cycled, 50 ppm nitrate may not be likely to attain, but 0.5=1 ppm nitrite is.

1701892291721.png
Thanks for the chart, I see now what you’re saying. I have the API reef master test kit.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not add any stars or urchins until the tank is mature, they likely will die, especially with fluctuating parameters like OP is having since the tank still appears to be cycling

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back