Suicidal Yellow Watchman Goby

  • Thread starter Thread starter hahahohol
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

hahahohol

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 12, 2014
Messages
38
Reaction score
31
Location
Erie, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I added a yellow watchman goby to my 5 week old Innovative Marine 20g tank… but he went missing the next morning. Last time I’ve seen him was at night (with a flashlight) he was swimming around the perimeter of the tank … but he was pale, no yellow at all. He was also throwing sand (with its tale) during the day at the bigger clown (I have a pair).
Long story short, few days later – that is this morning - I found a YWG jerky on the floor :-/

I was hoping to add a pistol shrimp a ~week later, but not sure what to do.
IMG_9857.jpeg


I still want a YWG & Pistol shrimp pair. Are they all jumpers? Would you recommend I use a Plexi cover instead of mesh cover that I have now?
Or if I add a pair right away, the YWG will stay on the bottom?
 
Any fish can jump. The first few days is always the most questionable. Once they have their own cave/home set up, it really minimizes the chances of jumping.

Not overstocking and not adding aggressive tank mates will also minimize the chances.

I have 3 tanks, never had a lid on any of the. I would guess that maybe 4-5 fish have jumped on me I’m the last 5 years, almost always new additions. Only had one chalk bass that jumped after being with me for a year.
 
I had one for a few years and it never jumped. That being said I've found that for smaller fish in particular, the industry standard 1/4" mesh is too big. Use 1/8" mesh for the lid to keep the smaller fish in. That's what I did.
 
Last edited:
I have lids on both of my tanks because I've lost fish from jumping (Gobies are well known to jump out). A few were new but there were some that were established. I made the top for my 90g using window screen framing and the netting BRS sells for making aquarium lids. My 50 has a combination of plexiglass and lighting filter grating.

Since I've had both in place I haven't lost a single fish due to jumping. I do hear them slap the water surface occasionally if it's past feeding time but there's no place for them to jump out of. I had one get out of a 1 inch gap so now there are no gaps at all.
 
I have lids on both of my tanks because I've lost fish from jumping (Gobies are well known to jump out). A few were new but there were some that were established. I made the top for my 90g using window screen framing and the netting BRS sells for making aquarium lids. My 50 has a combination of plexiglass and lighting filter grating.

Since I've had both in place I haven't lost a single fish due to jumping. I do hear them slap the water surface occasionally if it's past feeding time but there's no place for them to jump out of. I had one get out of a 1 inch gap so now there are no gaps at all.
Are you saying I should re-mesh my stock IM cover with a window screen-net?
 
I had one for a few years and it never jumped. That being said I've found that for smaller fish in particular, the industry standard 1/4" mesh is too big. Use 1/8" mesh for the lid to keep the smaller fish in. That's what I did.
Do you have a link to 1/8 net by any chance? And can I just re-screen my existing IM cover?
 
Hey there,
I added a yellow watchman goby to my 5 week old Innovative Marine 20g tank… but he went missing the next morning. Last time I’ve seen him was at night (with a flashlight) he was swimming around the perimeter of the tank … but he was pale, no yellow at all. He was also throwing sand (with its tale) during the day at the bigger clown (I have a pair).
Long story short, few days later – that is this morning - I found a YWG jerky on the floor :-/

I was hoping to add a pistol shrimp a ~week later, but not sure what to do.
IMG_9857.jpeg


I still want a YWG & Pistol shrimp pair. Are they all jumpers? Would you recommend I use a Plexi cover instead of mesh cover that I have now?
Or if I add a pair right away, the YWG will stay on the bottom?
I lost my Goby today to jumping. I've already ordered the Watchman Memorial lid.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new