Suitable rays ?

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding a ray for my dream built's fish list and there are two types that are kind of "suitable. Its the Round stingray and the native blue spotted ribbontail. The tank will be 7ft long and 32' wide. It'll be a fish only system.
Are ribbon tails really that hard to keep ? There's a video from a guy that have a pair of them living in a "Floating" rock work.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding a ray for my dream built's fish list and there are two types that are kind of "suitable. Its the Round stingray and the native blue spotted ribbontail. The tank will be 7ft long and 32' wide. It'll be a fish only system.
Are ribbon tails really that hard to keep ? There's a video from a guy that have a pair of them living in a "Floating" rock work.
rays are a real expert only. Only keep if you have lots of reef keeping experience under your belt. Lot goes into keeping them, I would recommend doing some heavy research and building your tank around them if you are dead-set on keeping them

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept freshwater rays, and speaking from that experience - you need lots of room with a good sandy bottom so they can bury themselves, so a tank with wide open bottom (hence the floating rock work in the video you mentioned). They'll eat about anything they can get their rays around too, crabs, snails, clams, fish, etc. They are also very sensitive to nutrient levels and PH fluctuations and need sparkly clean water...they eat like pigs so over filtration is key. I'm assuming you mean "32" as inches, not feet. A round ray can hit nearly 2' in length and have a disc of 12", you'd be better off with a blue dot.

Garia666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wesley has some nice rays

lymma stingray

you can see his tank and fish here

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rays are a real expert only. Only keep if you have lots of reef keeping experience under your belt. Lot goes into keeping them, I would recommend doing some heavy research and building your tank around them if you are dead-set on keeping them
This is like the 'fish on the fringe" of mine. I'll try to make lots of sand area by using pillars.

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept freshwater rays, and speaking from that experience - you need lots of room with a good sandy bottom so they can bury themselves, so a tank with wide open bottom (hence the floating rock work in the video you mentioned). They'll eat about anything they can get their rays around too, crabs, snails, clams, fish, etc. They are also very sensitive to nutrient levels and PH fluctuations and need sparkly clean water...they eat like pigs so over filtration is key. I'm assuming you mean "32" as inches, not feet. A round ray can hit nearly 2' in length and have a disc of 12", you'd be better off with a blue dot.
I'm having two black diamond and a motoro.

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wesley has some nice rays

lymma stingray

you can see his tank and fish here

this is exactly what im gonna built from. Maybe supporting it by some pillar.

OP
OP
CC_N

CC_N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but they aren’t fully grown yet. Btw I kept them in a pool

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back