Suitable rays ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CC_N
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

CC_N

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2022
Messages
167
Reaction score
138
Location
Vietnam
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finding a ray for my dream built's fish list and there are two types that are kind of "suitable. Its the Round stingray and the native blue spotted ribbontail. The tank will be 7ft long and 32' wide. It'll be a fish only system.
Are ribbon tails really that hard to keep ? There's a video from a guy that have a pair of them living in a "Floating" rock work.
 
I'm finding a ray for my dream built's fish list and there are two types that are kind of "suitable. Its the Round stingray and the native blue spotted ribbontail. The tank will be 7ft long and 32' wide. It'll be a fish only system.
Are ribbon tails really that hard to keep ? There's a video from a guy that have a pair of them living in a "Floating" rock work.
rays are a real expert only. Only keep if you have lots of reef keeping experience under your belt. Lot goes into keeping them, I would recommend doing some heavy research and building your tank around them if you are dead-set on keeping them
 
I've kept freshwater rays, and speaking from that experience - you need lots of room with a good sandy bottom so they can bury themselves, so a tank with wide open bottom (hence the floating rock work in the video you mentioned). They'll eat about anything they can get their rays around too, crabs, snails, clams, fish, etc. They are also very sensitive to nutrient levels and PH fluctuations and need sparkly clean water...they eat like pigs so over filtration is key. I'm assuming you mean "32" as inches, not feet. A round ray can hit nearly 2' in length and have a disc of 12", you'd be better off with a blue dot.
 
rays are a real expert only. Only keep if you have lots of reef keeping experience under your belt. Lot goes into keeping them, I would recommend doing some heavy research and building your tank around them if you are dead-set on keeping them
This is like the 'fish on the fringe" of mine. I'll try to make lots of sand area by using pillars.
 
I've kept freshwater rays, and speaking from that experience - you need lots of room with a good sandy bottom so they can bury themselves, so a tank with wide open bottom (hence the floating rock work in the video you mentioned). They'll eat about anything they can get their rays around too, crabs, snails, clams, fish, etc. They are also very sensitive to nutrient levels and PH fluctuations and need sparkly clean water...they eat like pigs so over filtration is key. I'm assuming you mean "32" as inches, not feet. A round ray can hit nearly 2' in length and have a disc of 12", you'd be better off with a blue dot.
I'm having two black diamond and a motoro.
 
Yeah but they aren’t fully grown yet. Btw I kept them in a pool
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new