Suitable tangs for Maxspect LS150?

squidleydidleydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally at a point where I can start getting serious about planning my tank, so I'm working on nailing down a stock list. I was originally going to go with a large Red Sea Reefer MAX, but the Maxspect Smart Lagoon tanks look like amazing options! While the volume is smaller than what I had planned on initially, I feel like the wider footprint gives more options in terms of stocking.

The tank is 99 gallons and dimensions are 60" x 22" x 22". I'm looking for a colorful tang that will do well in a tank this size. Any advice?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid my favorite tang, the Power Blue, in a tank this small. I would get Yellow, Purple, one of the bristle tooth, other than Chevron, and a Convict tang. Three tangs should be fine. Add the Yellow and/or Purple last.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is roughly 105 gallons. 4x2x2 is the normal 120 which is good enough for several small tangs. I would think the larger surface area, longer but slight decrease in height and width should supports about the same.
It is not as if the tangs take out measure tapes and measure their house.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid my favorite tang, the Power Blue, in a tank this small. I would get Yellow, Purple, one of the bristle tooth, other than Chevron, and a Convict tang. Three tangs should be fine. Add the Yellow and/or Purple last.
I generally agree with this post. I'd say stock light if you go for all 3 and don't be discouraged if the Convict doesn't do well. They often don't do well in captivity and can take a few tries. Also keep an eye on the zebrasoma Tang you choose (yellow or purple) as especially at that tank size they might get a little murdery with their tankmates

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back