Sulfur Denitrator for Dummies - Can someone explain them to me?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How many of you guys use a sulfur denitrator? Can you explain how they work? What are the pros and cons? I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these, but not sure...

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following for sure, I've been interested in one for a while.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found this video by MD that helps explain them:

I would still like to get some thoughts on pros/cons and experiences by those using them.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BUMP! #Reefsquad

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can explain how it works... it lowers nitrates.

JK!!!

It uses sulfur media and CO2 from what I know. A buddy of mine hooked it up to his 180 with nitrates at 160. 4 months later his nitrates are 40 now. I think he set it up to make slower progress intentionally.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a better way............. Siporax.
Ask @PSXerholic about this as his tank is running on pretty successful.

I used to use similar in the fresh water for years from Eheim on the closed loop canister bio filters.
I cleaned my filter only once a year, not to clean it as the Siporax was still kicking but the mechanical filter pads had to be replaced.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a better way............. Siporax.
Ask @PSXerholic about this as his tank is running on pretty successful.

I used to use similar in the fresh water for years from Eheim on the closed loop canister bio filters.
I cleaned my filter only once a year, not to clean it as the Siporax was still kicking but the mechanical filter pads had to be replaced.
Why is it better? Can you give some pros and cons on the denitrators?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a marinepure block in my 72 and I am having to turn off my skimmer 12 hours a day to keep nutrients on my test kits. It's been in my tank 9 months and I'm fighting to keep NO3 at 2.5 and PO4 at .009. Salifert and hanna respectively

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I recommend, run your system first on a skimmer only and try to learn to exercise that at first.
If problems occur that you can't control with the skimmer and food control you always can pull the wallet and buy nutrient reducing reactors or biological elements like mentioned above.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it better? Can you give some pros and cons on the denitrators?

I'm running SIPORAX 25mm very successful and it almost absorbs my nutrients somewhat in a biological way, in which I won't have to deal with the fear of equipment failure.

Running a DSB which takes care of most nutrients, I added the SIPORAX media into the sump to further improve the capabilities of the system when the tank got crowded.
Best thing I have ever done. Along with some very limited amount of VSV dosing and a good skimmer I can get my Nitrates/Phosphates up and down where I like it to be ;-)
Even the PO4/No3 ratio you can handle with the mixture of VSV.

That allows to dose Nitrates and "Color booster" Stomp remover...........shoot, did I say that loud? ;-)

-Andre

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running SIPORAX 25mm very successful and it almost absorbs my nutrients somewhat in a biological way, in which I won't have to deal with the fear of equipment failure.

Running a DSB which takes care of most nutrients, I added the SIPORAX media into the sump to further improve the capabilities of the system when the tank got crowded.
Best thing I have ever done. Along with some very limited amount of VSV dosing and a good skimmer I can get my Nitrates/Phosphates up and down where I like it to be ;-)
Even the PO4/No3 ratio you can handle with the mixture of VSV.

That allows to dose Nitrates and "Color booster" Stomp remover...........shoot, did I say that loud? ;-)

-Andre

Here is a link to my thread, haven't talked yet much about the Siporax, but will do soon.....

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/psxerholics-210-gallon-reef-in-reefcity-houston.235601/

ThadWM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my aqua max sulphur denitrater to reduce nitrates to 0 ppm at 3 drops a second. This rate is to slow for my 100 gallon with 6 catfish and5 large goldfish. They are waste factories.So I increased the flow to about 5 or 6 drops a second and will check the effluent as well as the tank water. They work on a bacteria in an oxygen deprived environment which somehow takes nitrates out of the water utilizing the sulphur. In other words chemistry is occurring and a chemical reaction takes place.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with sulphur reactors is the cost, reactors + 24/7 peri pump =$$$. So now with the new Kamoer doser for 250 bucks it makes it a lot easier to have a sulphur reactor.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back