To drill for sump or not?

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm currently wanting to upgrade one of my tanks. And I have only had experience with AIO tanks. My reasons for wanting to upgrade is because I want to get a bigger tank and also have it fit better in the space where the current tank is it. I've been looking for a used tank to buy, and kind of started liking a 54 gal corner tank (for the spot it will go) I was really wanting to get a tank with a sump this time, for a hopefully quieter tank and more total water volume, and more space in the display. however it's not drilled. So I will either have to drill it and plumb it etc or had a HOB overflow. Which I know the corner tank can also be tricky with.

So mainly just wanting some advice please! On what pros/cons a sump vs AIO will have? Plumbing and drilling help/tips? And anyone have any pictures of set ups that are similar to what I'm thinking about? Any help is really appreciated!!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say drill it, the only reason not to is apprehension.

I've had aquariums almost 20 years, always hang on back equipment, always afraid to try drilling. Last year I finally got fed up and drilled a tank, and whoa, I wish I had done it to all my tanks for the previous 20 years. It was much easier than I ever thought, and so much easier to work in a sump.

Also, as a non-DIY guy, I got a thrill out of successfully plumbing it. It was a fun project, and it really gives me a lot of pride that I did it all myself, and I will definitely do it again.

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say drill it, the only reason not to is apprehension.

I've had aquariums almost 20 years, always hang on back equipment, always afraid to try drilling. Last year I finally got fed up and drilled a tank, and whoa, I wish I had done it to all my tanks for the previous 20 years. It was much easier than I ever thought, and so much easier to work in a sump.

Also, as a non-DIY guy, I got a thrill out of successfully plumbing it. It was a fun project, and it really gives me a lot of pride that I did it all myself, and I will definitely do it again.
See that's what I'm really leaning towards also. Plus the corner aquarium I have been talking to someone about getting from them, will really fit perfectly in the space and if I can maximize the total water volume more with the sump, even better. The current tank I have that I will be moving into the new one, it's nice but it's really tall, I have to get a stool out to get to the filtration (AIO) and it's a hassle! So for the plumbing, I've seen it's common to use PVC, is that what you used on your tank?

OP
OP
C

CierraBeckwith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill it. Anything larger than 30g should be sumped in my opinion. As a bonus you get a place to stash ******** inverts.
I am definitely leaning towards drilling. And with how small my space is, if I can maximize total water volume even more (with the sump) then I want to do that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back