Sulphur denitrator

josephfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested to install a sulphur denitrator for my fish only marine 400liter tank. Apart from sulphur in the reactor do i need to put other media to increase the ph and alkalinity or can i just dose alkalinity liquid? I am trying to find out if i can put only sulphur in the reactor and not split the reactor with 2 different media or install a seperator reactor after the denitrator.
I cannot get nitrate below 45ppm even though i use nopox, and oversized skimmer, and phosphate varies between 0.04 to 0.10 sometimes.
Also what pump do i need to attached to the denitrator if it will be staying outside the sump in order to compensate for pump head height. I dont have much space for cheato in the sump so ideally i set up something outside the sump , to lower the nitrates.
I understand nitrates in 40ppm range is ok for fish only but i prefer to lower them to 0 and then dose nitrate from doser if needed. I want to be able to add some corals later as well and like this the system will be ready once i decide.
Tank is 1 year old and not very overstocked at the moment but i feed quite a bit.
Thanks

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am interested to install a sulphur denitrator for my fish only marine 400liter tank. Apart from sulphur in the reactor do i need to put other media to increase the ph and alkalinity or can i just dose alkalinity liquid? I am trying to find out if i can put only sulphur in the reactor and not split the reactor with 2 different media or install a seperator reactor after the denitrator.
I cannot get nitrate below 45ppm even though i use nopox, and oversized skimmer, and phosphate varies between 0.04 to 0.10 sometimes.
Also what pump do i need to attached to the denitrator if it will be staying outside the sump in order to compensate for pump head height. I dont have much space for cheato in the sump so ideally i set up something outside the sump , to lower the nitrates.
I understand nitrates in 40ppm range is ok for fish only but i prefer to lower them to 0 and then dose nitrate from doser if needed. I want to be able to add some corals later as well and like this the system will be ready once i decide.
Tank is 1 year old and not very overstocked at the moment but i feed quite a bit.
Thanks
I haven't used one in many, many years, but when I did I filled it 2/3 with sulfur and 1/3 with calcium media. Feed it with a continuous duty pump. A cheap aqualifter will do the trick.

OP
OP
J

josephfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the role of adding calcium media if one can just dose alkalinity from a doser?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back