Sump 55 gallon tall or 40 gallon breeder

EightOmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the planning phase so here my question is about h2o volume vs surface area of my proposed sump (I have a separate build thread). Went to petco as they have the $/g sale going on to compare tanks. I was originally thinking a 55g would be good for my sump, but today all they had was a 55g tall. The 40 g breeder seemed to sit lower. What I am wondering is when setting up the 3 part fuge is if the 40g breeder would be more optimal as it will give me more surface area than the 55 g tall. Yes, I know I can build a stand for the skimmer if I get the 55 tall and be able to have a larger h2o volume that way, but I lose floor space for the fuge. Was hoping someone here has done it both ways and could advise.

The question is which is more advantageous the flat real estate the 40g breeder provides, or the volume the 55g tall provides. My DT will be a 125 g 72" long.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work but I would highly recommend using the 40b. The 55 gallon proved to be too thin and too tall when I was using one....hated it from the day I started using it.

OP
OP
EightOmens

EightOmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work but I would highly recommend using the 40b. The 55 gallon proved to be too thin and too tall when I was using one....hated it from the day I started using it.
Thanks. I really appreciate it. Kind of what I thought when I actually viewed them, but being new to this needed to hear from others.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I really appreciate it. Kind of what I thought when I actually viewed them, but being new to this needed to hear from others.

You will quickly discover the easier it is to simple things, like clean the sump, remove the pump or skimmer to clean it, to take out the socks, etc., the more likely you are to do them...lol.

Happy reefing and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
EightOmens

EightOmens

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will quickly discover the easier it is to simple things, like clean the sump, remove the pump or skimmer to clean it, to take out the socks, etc., the more likely you are to do them...lol.

Happy reefing and enjoy the ride.
the good thing about being retired is I can tinker all day hahaha. the bad thing is when I want an aquarium it is going to take a long time to acquire all the parts needed.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still in the planning phase so here my question is about h2o volume vs surface area of my proposed sump (I have a separate build thread). Went to petco as they have the $/g sale going on to compare tanks. I was originally thinking a 55g would be good for my sump, but today all they had was a 55g tall. The 40 g breeder seemed to sit lower. What I am wondering is when setting up the 3 part fuge is if the 40g breeder would be more optimal as it will give me more surface area than the 55 g tall. Yes, I know I can build a stand for the skimmer if I get the 55 tall and be able to have a larger h2o volume that way, but I lose floor space for the fuge. Was hoping someone here has done it both ways and could advise.

The question is which is more advantageous the flat real estate the 40g breeder provides, or the volume the 55g tall provides. My DT will be a 125 g 72" long.

Definitely the 40 Breeder. Tall skinny tanks=major pain to clean and work around in. Keep in mind at some point you have to do work and maintenance on ANY tank that you have in your setup and having one that is easier to clean and work around in is a huge plus.

cmsurfr22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the 40 gallon breeder. it is what i have on my 60 gallon and i love it! i used to have a 29 gallon and it was too narrow and too tall. short and fat is where its at ;)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40g would be a great size for a 125 Display tank.

Back