OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I cleaned out my return pump, manually added rodi water, and this happened. Here is a video. It wont stop gurgling, my parents are getting annoyed. Is there too much water?

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the build in ATO? And if so is it empty because you used the water last night?

You need to turn the valve on the drain lines to stop the gurgling.
yes im using the built in ATO, and it is not empty, no. Also, which way would i rotate the drain knob? Thanks

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes im using the built in ATO, and it is not empty, no. Also, which way would i rotate the drain knob? Thanks
Sorry, ask again, but I rewatched the video, and maybe it is a trick of the light, but this tank has water in it, correct?
rsr_LI.jpg

For the valve, I can't remember which way to turn. The way I tuned mine in to stop making noise is the following.
  1. Look up top in your overflow. Where is your water level in relation to the pipes? You want it to be below your emergency drain line but above your regular drain line.
  2. Turn the valve three turns in one direction to see how the water level moves, then adjust from there. Once you know which way to turn to make the water level go up and down, try to aim for the water being slightly below your drain line.
  3. Make small adjustments. It may take a while. Adjust and then let it settle before you adjust again.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, ask again, but I rewatched the video, and maybe it is a trick of the light, but this tank has water in it, correct?
rsr_LI.jpg

For the valve, I can't remember which way to turn. The way I tuned mine in to stop making noise is the following.
  1. Look up top in your overflow. Where is your water level in relation to the pipes? You want it to be below your emergency drain line but above your regular drain line.
  2. Turn the valve three turns in one direction to see how the water level moves, then adjust from there. Once you know which way to turn to make the water level go up and down, try to aim for the water being slightly below your drain line.
  3. Make small adjustments. It may take a while. Adjust and then let it settle before you adjust again.
yes there is water in the tank, and thanks, i will try that

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled the hole in my RS Reefer ato and bought an add on ATO. It did not work great so I just added a doser connected to a tank filled with kalwasser top off water . Never any issues since

Attachments

• 8B7B570A-836C-46D7-A416-395BA69B54CA.jpeg
    8B7B570A-836C-46D7-A416-395BA69B54CA.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 9334F654-B48C-43F1-B03D-4F3A3084F024.jpeg
    9334F654-B48C-43F1-B03D-4F3A3084F024.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 733A24E3-610F-4A24-81A6-B679B0A9A2DA.jpeg
    733A24E3-610F-4A24-81A6-B679B0A9A2DA.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DEEFB0CD-4234-4407-954F-ECE6AEBFF337.jpeg
    DEEFB0CD-4234-4407-954F-ECE6AEBFF337.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 28

daileyo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean pump. Could have build up on the impeller.
I agree with @Mibu on checking the return pump for the gurgling sound. When I've heard my tank gurgling, I found that it was due to the pump not returning water as quickly and the siphon periodically siphoning faster than the water was returning to the tank.

But is seems there may be 2 issues. If your sump is running low, and you have an ATO, this would imply to me that there may be an issue with the ATO sensor or the ATO pump. It doesn't quite make sense to me that it is working, but your sump is low on water.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the video, the return pump seems to be drawing air in, the water isn't flowing correctly. I don't know why I wasn't notified when you replied here.

Did you get the sump filled back up?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, turn clockwise to fill the overflow box up, counter clock wise to lower water level. At this point, Clockwise.
rsr_LI.jpg

This is good advice. Your sump should not be gurgling.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looks like there isn't enough water in the system...

Measure your salt level and add water accordingly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to turn the knob that starts to close one of the pipes. One runs at a full siphon and the other a trickle.

Red sea tank knobs completely suck and are terrible and it may take some time to get it right.... and later may need to be adjusted over time.

Test your salinity, you may be topping off with RODI when you should not be.

If the problem is the knob not adjusted right then adding more water will not fix this issue. Only overflow your sump or throw your salinity off.

All that brown crap in your sump... is debris. I siphon it out of my sump once a month with a pump and water change.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to turn the knob that starts to close one of the pipes. One runs at a full siphon and the other a trickle.

Red sea tank knobs completely suck and are terrible and it may take some time to get it right.... and later may need to be adjusted over time.

Test your salinity, you may be topping off with RODI when you should not be.

If the problem is the knob not adjusted right then adding more water will not fix this issue. Only overflow your sump or throw your salinity off.

All that brown crap in your sump... is debris. I siphon it out of my sump once a month with a pump and water change.

The problem is that they don't have enough water in the return section... The return pump is literally sucking in air as the vid shows.

That ATO container looks almost completely empty, what water left is most likely below the drain.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that they don't have enough water in the return section... The return pump is literally sucking in air as the vid shows.

That ATO container looks almost completely empty, what water left is most likely below the drain.

Maybe but he said the ATO had water in it and was working and it just appears empty and said he has topped off manually as well. That chamber is pretty small so I don't see how it would not be fixed already with a manual top off or how it would have gotten this low without noticing.

He should test salinity so he knows if he should add RODI.

I can't tell what's going on in the video as it's pretty small. I am just going off by what he is saying.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back