Sump Advice

bcfiskins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm strongly considering getting back into salt water after a 15 year break. I have a 75gal tank with a built in overflow. The sump tank is 20 gal and its dimensions are 12x24x16. My question and issue fall around designing the sump. Ideally, I would like 3 area's. One for the skimmer, a refuge, and then a return area of decent size. Can I accomplish this with only 24 inches of length? Also, I have only 8 inches from the top of my sump, to the bottom of my tank, it seems very tight. Im' worried about removing skimmer lids and trimming refuge area etc, because of the lack of height and clearance. Its a pre made stand, so fitting something longer would be difficult to fit in because of 2 wide cross supports. It was like fitting a square peg into a round hole with the sump that I have in (I actually can't get it out..without breaking it??).

Also, I was hoping to create my dividers out of acrylic, but my tank is glass. I've see a few threads about glass to acrylic bonding, any additional thoughts other than to pack on the silicone heavy?

Thanks in advance!

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will probably be tough to cram three compartments into a 20t, but it could be done if your skimmer & return pump are small enough. Unfortunately, your refugium will probably end up being quite small, so you may want to reconsider adding a seperate tank for a fuge or using an external skimmer. One other thing to consider is the back-siphon of water from the DT in case of a power outtage or return pump failure. Even with a siphon break, you don't have much wiggle room with a 20g sump if it back feeds down there.

As far as using acrylic baffles in a glass tank, it could easily be done. Silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic, but seeing as baffles in a sump are a low pressure application, you can get by just fine as long as you liberally apply the silicone. It may not be the prettiest sump in the world, but it will get the job done. I've had acrylic baffles in all of my glass sumps (I'm too cheap to get a custom made sump and don't have the acrylic DIY skills to build my own) and I've never had a problem.

kevin78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a 20g long? Petco has $1 a gallon sales so it won't set you back to much. Usually around January. For the baffles try your local Hardware store. I think it only cost around $10 when I had my baffles cut for a 20L. Just make sure the silicone isn't kitchen/bath or mildew free. Aquarium silicone can be found at Menards or HD.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back