Sump and refugium

  • Thread starter Thread starter obxchicks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

obxchicks

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2014
Messages
36
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 90 gallon tank. What does everyone recommend for the sump and refugium? Any suggestions?
 
Maybe a 40 breeder. Or basically anything that will get the job done. I used a plastic tote before and worked great! More water can mean more stability.
 
I have a 90DT with a 40B sump....it's ideal!
 
I bought a glass 40 gallon breeder for my sump...I know it's recommended that I use glass baffles, but can I use acrylic? What should I do so they don't warp?
 
2o gallon sump and a 20 gallon refugium....keep the refugium in a separate tank to keep the water flow around 300 GPU....have them both go into a external return pump like a pan world 100px-x
 
I bought a glass 40 gallon breeder for my sump...I know it's recommended that I use glass baffles, but can I use acrylic? What should I do so they don't warp?

I'm not sure who recommended glass, but acrylic can be used with equal success. The secret with a sump, glass or acrylic baffles, is to use plenty of silicone....neatness doesn't count. I've evolved through three 40B sumps....all with acrylic baffles....with my most recent with no bubble traps. (Two drains in each back corner; left chamber- filter sock and skimmer; center chamber - return pump, biopellet reactor, GFO/Carbon reactor pump; Right chamber - refugium).

 
Its easier to silicone glass to glass than acrylic to glass and glass is not as flexible as acrylic at 1/4" so glass is more likely not to flex and will stay in place longer. You should use rubbing alcohol to clean the glass before using silicone on it to get the best adhesion and I tape both surfaces before siliconing it then I use a tooling knife to spread it into the joint if you do you tape remove the tape right away after tool in the silicone other wise if the silicone sets up you either remove the silicone with the tape on the tape gets trapped under the silicone if it dries all the way. I worked for a glass shop for a few years.
 
Glass is way easier to work with In my opinion. I tried acrylic one time n I'll never do it again unless I absolutely have to.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new