Sump and Salt Creep question

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm drawing up plans for my 125gallon build and ideally I would like to run the sump into another room. I have a bad back and i dont want to be crawling around on the ground every time i need to do maintenance. My question is do i have to be worried about ruining things to salt exposure in this other room due to the salt water sump ? Is there ways around this ? to not worry about things rusting out ? etc ?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, anytime you have a tank of water there is a risk. You could setup a sump essentially in a second waterproof container (like a stock tank maybe) so if it overflows it would go into the second container. Anywhere there’s water in your sump room (RODI, mixing station, ATO, etc.) you’ll need a redundant method for water collection to significantly reduce the risk of water damage.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, anytime you have a tank of water there is a risk. You could setup a sump essentially in a second waterproof container (like a stock tank maybe) so if it overflows it would go into the second container. Anywhere there’s water in your sump room (RODI, mixing station, ATO, etc.) you’ll need a redundant method for water collection to significantly reduce the risk of water damage.
No im not concerned about it leaking im worried about the humidity in the air potentially ruining other things in the small room i want to put it. I have a ton of tools and what not in the room and i dont want the salt air to ruin them and i dont even know if that should be a concern of mine. was curious if other people ran remote sumps and ran into the same issues.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No im not concerned about it leaking im worried about the humidity in the air potentially ruining other things in the small room i want to put it. I have a ton of tools and what not in the room and i dont want the salt air to ruin them and i dont even know if that should be a concern of mine. was curious if other people ran remote sumps and ran into the same issues.
The humidity won’t be any worse than from the other tanks. It’s pretty much impossible to avoid all salt creep, but salt doesn’t get in the air. So only things that can be splashed on (even tiny particles) would be at risk. If you don’t have surface movement of the water in your sump, that should eliminate most of the risk.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The humidity won’t be any worse than from the other tanks. It’s pretty much impossible to avoid all salt creep, but salt doesn’t get in the air. So only things that can be splashed on (even tiny particles) would be at risk. If you don’t have surface movement of the water in your sump, that should eliminate most of the risk.
I wonder if putting a lid on the sump would help or if it would be better to just run some fans a maybe a dehumidifier in the sump room

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if putting a lid on the sump would help or if it would be better to just run some fans a maybe a dehumidifier in the sump room
Lids help a ton, just make sure your skimmer airline is outside of the lid for oxygenation. A dehumidifier is also probably necessary.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any way around it ? or just find another spot for it
This statement is inaccurate. There is no such thing as salty air. Salt doesn’t evaporate. I have my sump in the basement with all my tools and there is no issue as there is enough separation that no saltwater can be splashed on them. I do run a dehumidifier as well.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This statement is inaccurate. There is no such thing as salty air. Salt doesn’t evaporate. I have my sump in the basement with all my tools and there is no issue as there is enough separation that no saltwater can be splashed on them. I do run a dehumidifier as well.

But there is... its called aerosols, and its not limited to freshwater only.

Look it and its corrosive nature up.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty air combined with humidity will rust all metal tools in that room.
“Salty air”
Sumps shouldn’t have waves that break the surface of the water causing aerosols. This should not be a concern with a properly setup sump. Particularly if dehumidifiers and lids are in use.

Last edited:

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a dehumidifier once and major evaporation. I installed one of the humidity sensor fans in the basement bathroom and it does the trick. Ultimately I want an air exchanger.

OP
OP
BillB83

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a dehumidifier once and major evaporation. I installed one of the humidity sensor fans in the basement bathroom and it does the trick. Ultimately I want an air exchanger.
Yeah I have decided to leave the sump in the same room as the display tank im just going to build a cabinet where i can close the doors/lid. Having all of it in one room will allow me to put in an air exchanger and have the whole room nice and clean including the evaporation from the display. Solves the problem of getting it off the ground and i wont have to worry about it rusting anything out in the future.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back