Sump baffle height help

Scott Segarac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to redo my sump with new tank build. 4 compartments with pump external already drilled. The first is the drain with filter sock. Next is the skimmer with a return from biopellets into it. Read where no to have too much turbidity. Next is fuge then bubble trap and return. If I set my first baffle height at 12" what should the next heights be. Spacing on bubble trap will be 1-1/2". I'e read and read but can't seem to find recommend difference in heights. Should it be 1/4" or 1/2". Need to order glass so I can start to build. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Scott

2017-12-15 21.16.24.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have the skimmer section first and the highest. Let the drains drain into the skimmer section.

Rational is when the power goes off, the skimmer sections water level stays consistent always. Helps keep the skimmer from overflowing when the power comes back on.

OP
OP
S

Scott Segarac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I want to do as described before. More concerned with the height differences. If 1 is 12" what heights should I make 2,3&5. Everything will be delayed starts as will be using a new Apex.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just want to makes sure the water is directed in the ways you want. I always make each successive 'downstream' baffle about 1/2" shorter than its predecessor. Exception is the high baffle in the bubble trap. That should sit an inch or so off the bottom and then go high enough so that water is. Directed over/under/over properly. Remember, it is the downstream baffle that dictates the normal water level in each section, so take that into account in terms of skimmer performance.

Also, if you are committed to a dedicated sock section, consider a second baffle ahead of the 12" high one that forces the water to go down and under before going over. Helps to purge bubbles as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back