Sump Cleaning

Amato_WCReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often does everyone clean their sump?? And how? Do you incorporate a water change (drain it), then scrub it clean??

i need some more thoughts and ideas. I’ve always kept a dirty sump, but now that i have a new and nicer tank, i want to keep it nice and clean.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often does everyone clean their sump?? And how? Do you incorporate a water change (drain it), then scrub it clean??

i need some more thoughts and ideas. I’ve always kept a dirty sump, but now that i have a new and nicer tank, i want to keep it nice and clean.
admittedly, i sure don't do it often but when i have its generally this:
cut the pumps and wait for the water to stop draining then i use a maxi-jet pump with 5 feet of 1/2" hose to vaccum the detritus from the corners and bubble trap.
i tend to leave my refugium alone

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vaccume my sump out every few waterchanges with a maxijet vacuum attachment.

Screenshot_20210820-142357_Chrome.jpg

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang tight Amatos! Never needed a pump, although I’m sure it works perfectly. Get a 5 gallon bucket or smaller. Also a 6’ or so piece of your syphon hose line. Place the bucket at an angle on the floor next to your sump. Stick one end of your hose in the sump. Suck on the other end of the hose and quickly place at the bottom of the bucket. Start syphoning the dirt out of your sump.
Some have been surprised that a syphon can be achieved when both the sump and bucket are near the floor. But it does work every time. It’s easy to keep your sump clean with this simple and inexpensive task.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just use a siphon to clean the sump. I dont like using a pump because doesn't all the gunk have to go through your pump?? I guess you can put a floss to trap any big junk from damaging the pump...

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just use a siphon to clean the sump. I dont like using a pump because doesn't all the gunk have to go through your pump?? I guess you can put a floss to trap any big junk from damaging the pump...
The mj pump I use has sucked up a lot of detritus and even small limpet shells and has been working for years. I wouldn't recommend sucking up larger pieces of rock or shell but from my experience the pumps handle it fine with no pre-filter.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back