Sump Color Schemes- White Backgrounds?

ReeferGil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year or so, I've noticed manufactures building sumps with a gloss white background. Maybe its been going on for much longer, but that's when I noticed it... anyhow. I'm in the process of having a custom built sump and I'm stumped for a background color or just going clear.

Wondering if anyone has input on affects of growing macro algae (benefit, no benefit or adverse) with a grow light inside the sump against a white background. I'd imagine it would benefit the macro algae because the light is bouncing back vs "spilling" out through a clear background. I'm also dabbling with going with a dark grey background, complete opposite affect (I would imagine) than a white background, where the dark color would absorb the light.

Other than it's probably a pain in the butt to keep a white background clean, I think this is an obvious issue, can anyone chime in on their thoughts? Any experience, good or bad?

Although I'd love to have an esthetically pleasing looking sump, I don't want to sacrifice that with unforeseen issues.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with clear or white sumps yet, but I'm working on a my first build with a sump currently and I was wondering/contemplating whether or not to paint the back and sides white or leave them clear. Definitely seems like a white background would make it easier to see algae, I'm unsure if that's a good or bad thing...

OP
OP
ReeferGil

ReeferGil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt the white background in a sump gives it a clean look. But I've only seen them on brand new sumps, would love to see one of these after a year. I'm pretty good with maintenance and adding another chore like cleaning the back of the sump wouldn't be a big deal. So that alone wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I'd be more concerned if the light reflecting off the white would accelerate the growth of nuisance algae. I have to pull the trigger by Monday, so hoping to get some opinions one way or the other. Hopefully we will both find out.

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had my red/white/clear custom ZeroEdge sump for years now...still looks brand new. Even has a white bottom in addition to the white back.
Very easy to keep clean.

OP
OP
ReeferGil

ReeferGil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. I ended up going with a dark grey back. I was afraid the h380 fug light would be too bright against a white background. White looks sharp though.

Back