sump design what do you think

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much better. Still a few little things I would change, but if you like it, thats what matters.

PS, Bio pellets are biological filter too ;) Cheato is a good place for pods to hang out though.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was a little bored so i polished up the design, moved the eggcrate and notched the overflow for the fuge..

v3.6

sump3_1.jpg

mrcoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to switching around the Fuge and return areas? You would naturally want to change the baffles around but this might work well for you. I personally think that a fuge is a really important part of my setup. I counter light it to help balance out the PH and oxygen saturation. There are some important components to having a counter lit system plus I have a mandarin so I need the pods. they are very important to my setup. Alot of people like to have the fuge on the other side to independently control the flow to it having that lower flow can prevent junk in your return area. . This is fine though seems well thought out.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain lines should be submerged 1/2", no more. Any deeper and your drains will burp due to the back pressure of air trapped in the pipes. This is an audible burp that you will hear in the sump and the overflow of the display. When it burps, the flow rate changes as a reaction and the overflow's water level will rise and fall, further creating additional back pressure that leads to more burping. You end up with an endless cycle of noise.

The two rails to support the refugium lighting is a bad idea. In a power outage, the tank drains and the sump fills up. That light will be submerged. When the power restores, it could short out if the light was supposed to be on at that time. The light needs to be up above the sump, even 1/2" to avoid water contact if it were ever to fill up to the point of overflowing.

Make the center baffle of the bubble trap 1" taller please. You don't want the water flowing over all three if things get a little quirky.

If you don't mind constantly changing out filter floss with new, that will work as drawn up.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is indeed some great points. Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i played with sketchup again.. made the changes recommended and figured how to mod a component.. so i was able to put the eggcrate in and also added some pluming

sump31.jpg

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so haven't played with sketchup in a while so i drafted the sump from the ground up.. this time it was soo much easier because i made every part a separate component..

changed the return area to reduce detritus buildup.. but the rest of the design is mostly the same.. i really hope the filterfloss idea works..

sumpVR2.jpg

sumpVR2_2.jpg

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you given any thought to switching around the Fuge and return areas? You would naturally want to change the baffles around but this might work well for you. I personally think that a fuge is a really important part of my setup. I counter light it to help balance out the PH and oxygen saturation. There are some important components to having a counter lit system plus I have a mandarin so I need the pods. they are very important to my setup.

I agree, you don't want tons of flow going threw the fuge. Plus having a place for pods to grow is a plus. This is the reason that i had to ditch my first sump and rebuild a better one with the fuge swapped around. If your limited to the flow rate threw the sump due to the fuge, it will make running filter media slower to work.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO, But Filter Floss is a bad idea in the long run as you will tire of buying and changing it and if not done often it will do more harm than good. There is a reason that most use filter socks or nothing is better than filter floss IMO. Plus your pipe running deep into the sump will cause burping as Melev said and he knows sumps as do i after many different designs over 30 years.
Bill

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO, But Filter Floss is a bad idea in the long run as you will tire of buying and changing it and if not done often it will do more harm than good. There is a reason that most use filter socks or nothing is better than filter floss IMO. Plus your pipe running deep into the sump will cause burping as Melev said and he knows sumps as do i after many different designs over 30 years.
Bill

Agree with bill.... Loose the floss idea. I would not even use a sock, thats what you skimmer is for. The detritus will be suspended better in the skimmer box if it is not going through all that floss and contraptions.

OP
OP
ToXIc

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah i guess i should.. i've just been reading about ppl complaining about sox alot and wanted to try something different.. Rick.. i really need to putting $ aside to getting this done..

nerdwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with bill.... Loose the floss idea. I would not even use a sock, thats what you skimmer is for. The detritus will be suspended better in the skimmer box if it is not going through all that floss and contraptions.

If there's no mechanical filtration, wouldn't the return pump get plugged up more often? Or will there be a sponge in the bubble removing area after the skimmer to deal with that? I'm planning a new sump also and just assumed I'd have to deal with changing filter socks every few days.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's no mechanical filtration, wouldn't the return pump get plugged up more often? Or will there be a sponge in the bubble removing area after the skimmer to deal with that? I'm planning a new sump also and just assumed I'd have to deal with changing filter socks every few days.

its a preference thing really .. as rick said if u dont use socks ur skimer should get the detritus if it runs into same chamber or some people build what they call a detritus trap which is just a section for the drain line so all the detritus falls into there and can be syphoned out.. personally i have an open sump and have no problems with my pumps getting clogged i just have to syphon out my sump when doing my WCs.

and i believe meleev recomends no more than a 1/2" of pipe should be in the water to prevent the burping

mixer911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a preference thing really .. as rick said if u dont use socks ur skimer should get the detritus if it runs into same chamber or some people build what they call a detritus trap which is just a section for the drain line so all the detritus falls into there and can be syphoned out.. personally i have an open sump and have no problems with my pumps getting clogged i just have to syphon out my sump when doing my WCs.

and i believe meleev recomends no more than a 1/2" of pipe should be in the water to prevent the burping

This is exactly what I do. I have no baffles in my sump either. What ever detritus is not skimmed out, i syphon out once a month during the water change. No pump issues with it at all.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hang on sock mount for my overflow, and have found that I can use it or not use it, and there is no difference in bubbles getting back into the tank. The only difference is a tad bit of noise, being that my sump is not under the tank, but even without the sock it's still really quiet...as you have noticed Kevan :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back