Sump Feedback

saltwatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Brand new to the forum and to the saltwater game in general, so I wanted to say hi and get some feedback on my setup.

I bought a used setup and cleaned it all up. Sat in my garage for over a year before I got it all put together and running finally. I’ve realized the sump setup doesn’t seem ideal because I’m not sure where I could set up my skimmer once I get it going. The baffle for the drain chamber is pretty high, but I’m wondering if I can put the skimmer in there if I build a base to raise it up?

Second chamber has a MarinePure block not visible in the attached pic. Also, waiting on the foaming to go down. Based on what I’ve read online it was caused by the CaribSea Life Rock I added to the tank. Had no issues before I added it. About a week in now and it isn’t quite as bad as it was.

D33F58DD-C39B-4FA3-8018-C871F53E06A3.jpeg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
saltwatr

saltwatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you did a great job cleaning it up! Glad that it still holds water after all that time in the garage. You can absolutely set the skimmer on a platform! I have had good luck finding scrap plastic at hardware stores and zip tying it into a frame.

Yeah it took a whole lot of work, thanks! I’m going to make a run to Home Depot tomorrow. I’ve seen egg crate used a lot, but I’m never able to find it at the store. Wish me luck.

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R I have a small question for you, in the case of a power outage do you have enough sump volume to hold that extra water coming from the tank until the siphon breaks?

The first baffle looks kind of high as well as your water level.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Brand new to the forum and to the saltwater game in general, so I wanted to say hi and get some feedback on my setup.

I bought a used setup and cleaned it all up. Sat in my garage for over a year before I got it all put together and running finally. I’ve realized the sump setup doesn’t seem ideal because I’m not sure where I could set up my skimmer once I get it going. The baffle for the drain chamber is pretty high, but I’m wondering if I can put the skimmer in there if I build a base to raise it up?

Second chamber has a MarinePure block not visible in the attached pic. Also, waiting on the foaming to go down. Based on what I’ve read online it was caused by the CaribSea Life Rock I added to the tank. Had no issues before I added it. About a week in now and it isn’t quite as bad as it was.

D33F58DD-C39B-4FA3-8018-C871F53E06A3.jpeg
Welcome to R2R. I’m sure that you will get help here for your questions.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Your probably going to need to use the middle section for skimmer as the return section is to deep.. If you raise your skimmer to much you wont be able to remove collection cup or service it. I would also recommend removing the power bar from sump area.. possible splashes, leaks and humidity can wreak havoc on power strips.

DD3D68A1-1F53-4A02-A1F0-D1DC0C3691DA.gif

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back