sump for biocube

PJNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone set up a sump on their AIO? I'm thinking about doing this, but really have no clue as to how to proceed except o get a small tank that will fit in my stand. I want to add a skimmer and a rufugium to grow chaeto and pods. I know nothing about overflows etc. Appreciate any help. Thanks

PJ

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be needing to drill your tank, if you won't ever be using the tank as an 'all in one' then I would drill the overflow column in the back, pipe that down to your sump, and pipe it back up into the return pump column of the bio cube... I'm not a huge hardware person but this would be a viable option

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. I have a 45 gal AIO.
I'm actually getting ready to remove the false back either partially or all the way.
I use a Tunze overflow due to the size of the baskets
But you may be able to remove a wall for a different overflow ( it's small)
Look at my YouTube video's and it will give you a idea. Here is one
Feel free to. PM me or email any questions. What size tank is it

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be needing to drill your tank, if you won't ever be using the tank as an 'all in one' then I would drill the overflow column in the back, pipe that down to your sump, and pipe it back up into the return pump column of the bio cube... I'm not a huge hardware person but this would be a viable option
Not necessary to drill the tank look at my videos in my signature lines

OP
OP
PJNANO

PJNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm not planning to drain the tank, so this is not an option for this tank. Might have to wait for an upgrade to get a sump.

Yes I have. I have a 45 gal AIO.
I'm actually getting ready to remove the false back either partially or all the way.
I use a Tunze overflow due to the size of the baskets
But you may be able to remove a wall for a different overflow ( it's small)
Look at my YouTube video's and it will give you a idea. Here is one
Feel free to. PM me or email any questions. What size tank is it

Thanks. I'll look at your video when I get home from work tonight.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what size tank you have but the Tunze and eshopps Nano overflow are the smallest that may fit into one of the outside baskets

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a sump ( 2og) to my BC29. Using a Life Reef overflow or prefilter box . I have the prefilter in the 2nd chamber and the return in the 3rd. Using a Mag 7 return pump. Still use the stock return as is. Works perfectly. I highly recommend the Life Reef overflow. Also, I went with the SCA 301 skimmer, very reasonably priced and works well.

OP
OP
PJNANO

PJNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a sump ( 2og) to my BC29. Using a Life Reef overflow or prefilter box . I have the prefilter in the 2nd chamber and the return in the 3rd. Using a Mag 7 return pump. Still use the stock return as is. Works perfectly. I highly recommend the Life Reef overflow. Also, I went with the SCA 301 skimmer, very reasonably priced and works well.
How did you plumb it?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you plumb it?
You can plumb it different ways half our hobby plumbs it with pvc while the half plumbs with flexible tubing
I plumbed my return 3/4 of the way with PVC and where it goes over the top flexible hose back into the original two nozzles. My down pipe is all flexible tubing

Rambus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the BC29 stand? Is there enough room in there to access sump equipment and perform maintenance?

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't have the BC stand, didn't think it was worth the$$. I use SS wire cart on wheels , love being able to move it around.

OP
OP
PJNANO

PJNANO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the BC29 stand? Is there enough room in there to access sump equipment and perform maintenance?
I do have the stand. Minimal room. Probably scratching the idea for this tank and wait for an upgrade in the future. Probably going to find a skimmer that will work in the first chamber. Just added my first sps so I want to make sure I can keep my water clean.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back