Sump for nano?

Is a 20gal refugium worth the hassle for a 22 gallon mixed reef?

• Total voters

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think yes ,why not? more water volume,room for equip.
if you can get your 20 under it ,go for it.. ;)

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think yes ,why not? more water volume,room for equip.
if you can get your 20 under it ,go for it.. ;)
That’s the goal! I figured that almost doubling the water volume would help a lot with stability and couldn’t even look pretty nice if I put some macro algae in it! I’ll figure it out as I go, but there’ll be a build thread for it so you can watch my struggles! ;Hilarious

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it! It will make an even bigger difference in a small tank, since it’s adding much more water percentage-wise.

Also it’s much more aesthetically pleasing having the equipment/heaters/wires/etc out of view.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that ‘extra’ water capacity is always a good thing. On the other hand, most people who want the relative simplicity of a small 20-gallon would get an AIO (or a bigger tank), rather than try to jack-up a 20-gallon. Just my 2-cents.

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it! It will make an even bigger difference in a small tank, since it’s adding much more water percentage-wise.

Also it’s much more aesthetically pleasing having the equipment/heaters/wires/etc out of view.
I’m so excited to be able to hide my equipment! I use the Reef Octopus Classic HOB skimmer and, although I have it on the side, it’s a bit bulky and would look so much better in the sump. I’m using HOB sump equipment because I was scared to drill my new tank ($300) and wasn’t sure where I could trust to have it cut. So, sadly you’ll see a little bit, but not nearly as much!

OP
OP
Jaden9933

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that ‘extra’ water capacity is always a good thing. On the other hand, most people who want the relative simplicity of a small 20-gallon would get an AIO (or a bigger tank), rather than try to jack-up a 20-gallon. Just my 2-cents.
I don’t want it for it’s simplicity. The tank will be in my room so the size is based off of the biggest I could fit! Also, it was the biggest low iron rimless glass tank I could find. most AIO don’t offer low iron glass and also block and entire side of the tank. The equipment I got will, of course, cover a small bit of the glass, but it’s not an overflow that takes up the entire view from that angle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back