Sump for Plans

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I currently have a 75 gallon tank connected to a canister filter. I am planning on getting a bigger tank (200 gallon range) within the next year or so, but also keeping the 75 gallon as a display tank on the first floor and putting the new tank in the basement. As such, I was looking to connect these systems to one big sump in the basement to make it both easier and less costly in terms of equipment. I have seen various different opinions on sump size, whether to do a big rubbermaid tub (though im not sure how to divide these up haha) or just a regular pre maid sump or doing a diy one out of fish tanks. If I could get opinions on what to do, suggestions on specific things that would be a great help. I am super pumped to get this going because now when I set up my new tank all ill have to really do is fill her up and shes good to go. (Also kind of getting a fish room out of this so another big plus). Any thoughts?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably do a series of rubbermaid stock tanks piped together. One tank for overflow/skimming/calcium reactions/whatever, another for a refugium, a third for returning the water and heating it/holding excess when a power outage hits.

Are you going to "waterfall" the tanks, with the 75 draining to the 200, which drains to the sump, which will pump to the 75? Or will both have overflows and returns? Do you plan to drill through the floors, or run the pipes up a stairwell?

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably do a series of rubbermaid stock tanks piped together. One tank for overflow/skimming/calcium reactions/whatever, another for a refugium, a third for returning the water and heating it/holding excess when a power outage hits.

Are you going to "waterfall" the tanks, with the 75 draining to the 200, which drains to the sump, which will pump to the 75? Or will both have overflows and returns? Do you plan to drill through the floors, or run the pipes up a stairwell?
No, not planning on doing a waterfall. Planning on doing overflows and returns for each tank. This is because the 200 gallon won't come along until at least next May or so and because I am also planning on and interested in potentially also doing a smaller seahorse tank or clownfish group and anemone tank or something of the sorts.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to go as big as possible so as to have flexibility for the total water volume in the system. I'd like to be able to add at least 250-300 gallons more in tanks to the system in the future, but preferably more.

OP
OP
rooneyj889

rooneyj889

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess, what do you want to put in the sump, and how much space do you have available?
I have essentially a large room in our basement that is our laundry room and was formerly a storage room. Basically have plenty of space. Would like room for a skimmer, biobricks and plenty of bio media, and a refugium. Will also use a dual carbon/gfo reactor, dosing 2 part, etc.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back