Sump/Fuge design advice (I might be going crazy)

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I made an amateur mistake. A few months ago, I moved, and instead of trying to move my entire 90 gallon setup, I went out and bought a 150 gallon tank, and moved the contents of my 90 into that. I told the wife that it would be SO MUCH easier, and in turn, I got the bigger tank that I had wanted. All this happened pretty quickly, and in my haste, i had not carved out time, or money to install a sump under the 150 before i set it up. The opening in the front of the cabinet allows me to slide in a 20 gallon tank (an extra tank that I have lying around) inside without much trouble. I would love a larger sump/fuge, but I am kinda stuck with the space constraints that are in place.

So, I have been brainstorming, trying to think of a way to best utilize the small space, and equipment that i already own, to make a functional sump. My crazy idea is this: why not use the 20 gallon as a fuge, leaving room for a return pump. on the back of the 20 gallon, I would attach a large cpr aquafuge hang on back refugium that i have. The input from the drains from the main tank will drain into the aquafuge. In this, I would place my heater, inputs and outputs from my GFO reactor, and additionally, hang my Reef octopus bh2000 on the back of the aquafuge. Even before taking complete measurements of all my equipment, i am expecting to be required to construct supports or platforms to help bear the weight of the equipment and potentially change the heights of some of the equipment to make it work (i.e. raising the so gallon tank a few inches so that the depth is right, and supporting the fuge, the reactor and the skimmer.

I have attached a ROUGH schematic of what i am proposing. I am here looking for advice, or frankly, a better plan.

Thanks in advance!!
14237669978949.jpg

Breakthecycle2

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great guy that made my sump and my friends. You will sketch everything out for you as many times as you want. His work is impeccable and will always respond to your emails.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clearly understand everything you're trying to do, but what I do understand, it certainly looks/sounds feasible. The one comment I have is that there is no need for two sets of bubble traps. Get rid if the bubble trap on the left...only need a single baffle there.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't clearly understand everything you're trying to do, but what I do understand, it certainly looks/sounds feasible. The one comment I have is that there is no need for two sets of bubble traps. Get rid if the bubble trap on the left...only need a single baffle there.

agreed here. When my sump was made, I didn't understand this. Now that I've been using it like so, I love it. The skimmer always has a constant water level. Happy water level, happy skimmer!

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now it's making more sense.

Do you know the openings on all the equipment? And the max flow rates? Do you have a return pump picked out? How do you plan on running water thru your reactor?

It looks like you're going to be asking that pump to do a lot there. the more twists, turns, bends, baffles etc that the pump has to pump water thru will restrict that flow along the way.

OP
OP
W

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a pump picked out yet. Here is a pic of the opening of the HOB CPR Aquafuge. I am going to gravity feed the "right end" of the fuge (which I am not using as a fuge), and allow the skimmer (which is HOB) to pull water out and return it to the Aquafuge. I will place a maxijet in a the Aquafuge to feed the reactor. The water in the Aquafuge will spill out of the spillway into the 20 gallon (and potentially into a sock, if only to make it quieter). I'm not looking for a huge amount of flow thru there, mainly looking to grow copious amounts of chaeto.
spillway.jpg
(not my pic, I "borrowed" it form google)

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what floor is the DT tank on. Would you be able to run your sump in a seperate room? Might give you more space for the reactor, skimmer etc.

OP
OP
W

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement. There is a storage area behind the wall, but is gets pretty cold in there, and that is the wife's real estate, and I'm not sure I would win that battle.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may take some fine tuning, but I think you have something that will work there. I can't see anything from my keyboard that is a dealbreaker.

Good luck and keep us posted along the way!

OP
OP
W

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks!! I will try to document the process. Need to buy baffles and a return pump! Any recommendations on what size, what brand, etc?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks!! I will try to document the process. Need to buy baffles and a return pump! Any recommendations on what size, what brand, etc?

looking back, that's one thing I wish I did more of, documentation.

I run a danner mag supreme pump and it's been rock solid for 2 years (not even cleaning it). Some people complain about noise, but mine is silent. They have multiple sizes, but that's what I've used and have xp with.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me that you have an ATO accounted for? If not, you will need one or you will be filling your sump with water every few hours. Maybe it is just me and one of my pet peaves but these folks that draw up a sump and leave the tiniest spaces for their return pumps at times dont realize that that is the area of water level fluctuation. For example, my small 66 gallon rimless tank evaporates at least 1 gallon a day. with your 20 gallon tank, that is most likely the size of your return area.

Also, hanging a Skimmer on the back of the HOB fuge is not a good idea. too much stress on that fuge In my opinion.

just food for thought.

OP
OP
W

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickupman,

I see your point now. ****, ATO was something that I was thinking about LATER, not now, but now that you mention it, it seems I missed that finer point. Is there a way to trap bubbles without using baffles, therefore the water level in the 20 can fluctuate as needed, in entirety, since all my equipment would be in the HOB fuge? (Additionally, I plan on supporting the weight of the skimmer so the HOB fuge isn't bearing the weight.)

hummer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ..here's a idea if you have a basement or a cawl space ..most people will
uploadfromtaptalk1423862643830.jpg
only do it one so you should just do it right the first time ..and save money and time in the long run and at the same time double your water volume

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back