Sump ideas

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a sump and I guess I didn’t have it level because the silicone broke on one edge and so the glass piece is just hanging there. I’m going to be redoing it soon. I don’t have any filtration except the prefilter on the overflow box. Should I add something where the water is flowing into the sump to filter the water some more?

Right now I have the protein skimmer in a large area and I wanna make a refugium where it’s at and put the skimmer next to where the water is flowing into the sump. Then leave the return pump as is.

Is building a refugium super benificial? If so what should I have in the Refugium?

D918180F-59EE-4291-9F04-D2421D610907.jpeg

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you can add a fuge and clean it up some. Having filter sock holder is really nice but you need to change them about every 3 days. They are great at nutrient export, keeping the sump clean and polishing the water. Moving the skimmer to the drain section and adding a fuge to the center as you plan is what I would recommend. Having a large return section is nice as well, I find myself always wishing mine was a bit bigger.

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with desertreef. As well as for your refugium I would recommend getting cheato from your lfs or algae barns "clean cheato". Good luck!

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We offer a hang on the rim filter sock holder that will fit over that thick plastic trim piece. A 7" sock holder is less than $20! Would be an easy way to get some additional filtration on the sump side.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back