Sump Indecision

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 55 gallon reef tank hobbyist here (second go round from 20 years ago). I've spent most of the evening studying sumps. I'm a retired mechanical engineer so that's what I do.

I think I know what I want to do; but, I'm just not sure of what to do it with. The attached picture shows what I am considering, except I will use the 4th chamber for an ATO, which I will add later. I don't plan a refuge (if I got that name right). Here is what I'm thinking and could use some advice about:

1. I plan to use an external overflow because I don't want to drill my tank. I'm looking at a PF-800 HOB Overflow - Eshopps from Bulk Reef Supply. Suggestions?
  2. I believe that I need at least a 20 - 30 gallon (not including the ATO) because I plan to upgrade to a 75 gallon tank next year. What size would you recommend for a 75 gallon tank?
  3. I am torn between the following methods of getting the sump:
    1. Buy a tank from a pet store and modify it.
    2. Build my own just the way I want it. I'd have to make it similar to store bought ones. That appears to be a cost effective alternative.
    3. Buy one. I've looked at Trigger Systems and Eshopps. I'm leaning towards Trigger. Suggestions?
  4. Buy a protein skimmer. I have no clue who makes a good one or what size to get. Suggestions?
  5. Buy a return pump. Same situation as the protein skimmer. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sump Pump Diagram with ATO.jpg

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hang on back overflow is a guaranteed flood eventually just a heads up. I've used them when I started 15 yrs ago nothing has changed with them. The sump, I wouldn't bother with the deep sand bed that's in that graphic, rubble and a refuge is perfect. The size a 20 gal would be tight imo, I tried it on a 65 gal, a 40 breeder was more comfortable. If you are thinking about buying a sump that's really personal choice, BRS has 40 breeder sump kits, but if you are gonna go all in with a Trigger sump, go all the way with the platinum, (has the roller mat built in)

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to built a sump check out Fiji Cube they make kits, is the 55 gallon tank really narrow,? If so I hope it is going to FO. Lots of great choices out there with a budget to match, so far I am not keen on your choices. I am an equipment junkie so if you need help I am willing to help.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to built a sump check out Fiji Cube they make kits, is the 55 gallon tank really narrow,? If so I hope it is going to FO. Lots of great choices out there with a budget to match, so far I am not keen on your choices. I am an equipment junkie so if you need help I am willing to help.
I really appreciate that. I will take you up on the help.

I determined that I cannot fit any of the sumps that I found inside of my stand. I designed and built the stand without any thought to adding a sump. It has a center support in the front and a center divider on the inside. Mistake on my part. I am designing a new stand for a 75 gallon tank. I think I will sell what I have and use the money to upgrade to the 75 gallon or maybe 100 gallon if space permits.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 55 Gallon Stand.jpg
    55 Gallon Stand.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 45

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to go with trigger just a heads up their sumps are awesome. No ,but they offer discounts on blemish sumps. These they offer up and will sell directly to customer. A few guys on another forum let everyone in on this secret and got awesome deals on Trigger sumps. I have the Ruby 36 and love it. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.lifereef.com/nano.html. You can check out Life Reef they are very popular on this site, he may have a sump that might work for you, another option is a used/new Red Sea Sump they use a two piece sump like your design.
The problem with typical 55 gallon tanks are the dimensions are hard to work with ask me how I know that.
You have mad wood working skills.
Everybody has a budget and the last thing I want to do is to blow your budget, this hobby should be rewarding without cleaning you out, it is Black Friday and you may want to make a gig purchase while you still can, the prices are not as good as last year, it seems the prices are going up everywhere, I prefer to buy used when I can, but some sales are too good to pass up.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture 4/4 Your tank looks amazing, I would just add a Hang on the back skimmer
and you it is on sale, if you like I have a 10 off code if you want it.
You can buy this for a good price on the used market as well.
I know a guy who had that skimmer on a 60 cube and his tank rocked.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.lifereef.com/nano.html. You can check out Life Reef they are very popular on this site, he may have a sump that might work for you, another option is a used/new Red Sea Sump they use a two piece sump like your design.
The problem with typical 55 gallon tanks are the dimensions are hard to work with ask me how I know that.
You have mad wood working skills.
Everybody has a budget and the last thing I want to do is to blow your budget, this hobby should be rewarding without cleaning you out, it is Black Friday and you may want to make a gig purchase while you still can, the prices are not as good as last year, it seems the prices are going up everywhere, I prefer to buy used when I can, but some sales are too good to pass up.
Thank you and thanks for the info. I'll check into Red Sea Sump.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump 10-15% size of tank or larger should be good. I have always gone with as big that can fit including extra items. As long as the right sized heater, pumps etc.. will fit in sump.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picture 4/4 Your tank looks amazing, I would just add a Hang on the back skimmer
and you it is on sale, if you like I have a 10 off code if you want it.
You can buy this for a good price on the used market as well.
I know a guy who had that skimmer on a 60 cube and his tank rocked.
Thanks for the complement. I'll check this out. Sure beats trying to plumb my tank. Used would be okay by me.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are getting a larger tank get one with a corner overflow.
You dont need baffles on your sump.
This is a 40 breeder on my 120.
It has a filter sock, skimmer, media reactor, and a carx.
It was $50 on petco dollar days.
I run the same sump on my 45 frag system.
20211119_201113.jpg

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer yes it will work. Done something basic like this with just a 15 gallon container. Bonus points for the bungee cords.
Yea I hate sock holders, lol.
Makes it easier with the remote fuge drain too.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can only see tank.
Can see a little bit of it bottom right. Its cut off, but real basic. Heat, sock, return pump, and small hob skimmer on front of container. Worked this way for over a year before I tore it down. Really simple and stable. Was using for coral qt in a way.

Back