SUMP LEVEL OVER TIME

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I know. Thread title musta been seeing a million times. Sorry!, but can't find what must be a super simple answer. My tank has been established for a year now. I guess since setup I didn't adjust my sump level perfectly. It's always been a bit low. I can probably add another inch or so of RODI water before it gets to close to my max level during shut off test. Max level I aim for is 1" below top of sump during shut off. Right now it's about 2"

Do I simply add more water to the sump while everything is running? Add more water with nothing running? PS Skimmer is submerged about 10" while running.

Thanks very much

Marineland 60g cube, Eco Tech MP10 wavemaker, Kessil AE 360,Trigger Crystal Sump
Tunze 3155 Osmolator, Rio 2100 return pump, CAD Lights PLS 100 skimmer

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to raise the water level? 10” seems pretty high in the skimmer chamber, what is the level in your pump chamber?

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pump chamber level is 11". skimmer level is actually also 11". Sump is pretty small so tough to see exct measurements at times. FYI total sump height is 15"

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow. I read some specs about the CAD skimmer and thanks for the heads up Hitman. I'm going to put the skimmer on a 2-3" platform. Not to verge too much from the main thread topic, but to be honest I'm not crazy about this CAD skimmer as the setting knob is at the bottom and not very responsive. I have to usually pull the skimmer completely out of the sump to adjust the water level within the skimmer. It's usually either too low or madly overflowing.

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And back to my main issue here which may be more of an educative question for now: how do I raise the water level in my sump?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I simply add more water to the sump while everything is running? Add more water with nothing running? PS Skimmer is submerged about 10" while running.

I would mix up some matching saltwater and add to your desired level. Add it while everything is running.

Also be sure your tank is topped off with RODI to its current running level first. That way you aren’t also raising salinity.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice above on how to raise the level.
Personally I think your level is to high. My 90 gallon sump is 22” tall, overflow area is set at 18” deep, fuge is set at 15” deep, skimmer section is set at 12” deep ( reef octopus regal 250 ) skimmer is sitting on a marine pure blocks 4” thick to get my 8” water depth per reef octopus recommendations, pump chamber is set at 8” deep. This gives me plenty of flow through every chamber even with all the pumps turned down as far as they go. Actually both of my return pumps are only running at 20% each so approximately 750 gph after head and elbow loss. Personally I would worry more about opps room for a power failure in your sump, 1”- 2” is to high for my margin of safety. That day you or your ago geeks out and adds 3 or 4 gallons of water and you lose power all due to a storm you will wish you had 4” or more of opps level in your sump. Been there done that which is why from the day it happened to me I now leave at least 30% volume of the sump for that opps!

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would mix up some matching saltwater and add to your desired level. Add it while everything is running.

Also be sure your tank is topped off with RODI to its current running level first. That way you aren’t also raising salinity.

thanks so much DSnakes. Will do

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope you are not missing anything. The equation of sump levels in relation to DT levels is one that I sometimes fail to grasp. Thanks
Your display level is controlled by your overflow, not sump level. Your sump level should always be based on reserve room due to a power outage plus 1”- 2” spare room from overflowing.

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your display level is controlled by your overflow, not sump level. Your sump level should always be based on reserve room due to a power outage plus 1”- 2” spare room from overflowing.

Thanks again Hitman. I thought the two were connected. I need to dust off my book of logic for Dummies. So to increase my DT level do I simply add saltwater? I may have had DT level in mind when I made my original post.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You simply raise your overflow to allow a bit more water to stay in your display. If you have a hang on back still you just adjust the box up in the tank a bit, if you have a reef ready tank you just raise your overflow pipe a bit until you get the level you want in your display. Once your display is set your water level should only change in your sump as water is needed which is one of many reasons you plumb your ato into your sump.

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good advice above on how to raise the level.
Personally I think your level is to high. My 90 gallon sump is 22” tall, overflow area is set at 18” deep, fuge is set at 15” deep, skimmer section is set at 12” deep ( reef octopus regal 250 ) skimmer is sitting on a marine pure blocks 4” thick to get my 8” water depth per reef octopus recommendations, pump chamber is set at 8” deep. This gives me plenty of flow through every chamber even with all the pumps turned down as far as they go. Actually both of my return pumps are only running at 20% each so approximately 750 gph after head and elbow loss. Personally I would worry more about opps room for a power failure in your sump, 1”- 2” is to high for my margin of safety. That day you or your ago geeks out and adds 3 or 4 gallons of water and you lose power all due to a storm you will wish you had 4” or more of opps level in your sump. Been there done that which is why from the day it happened to me I now leave at least 30% volume of the sump for that opps!

just saw this. thanks again Hitman (nice pseudonym by the way). will take your advice especially to leave my sump level where it is. May even take out a half gallon or so. I will also put the skimmer on a 2" platform to lower it's submergence in the sump. That said, I am shopping around for a different skimmer though not easy to find one with same or smaller footprint. This CAD skimmer has terrible location for adjustment level as well as the adjustment knob at very bottom of skimmer.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the reef octopus 150 for you size tank if you have the room.

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how the heck did I miss the octupus 150. great suggestion. the footprint dimension (length or width not sure) is 9.5" whereas mine is 10x10. however one of the corners has a half circle (for the sock/water intake) which cuts down dimesntions by 2". I wish these manufactures would simply put down the diameter at the base. So much easier to measure. Marine Depot does say body size is 6" and not sure what that refers to but I'll ask them.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the reef octo sss. I love the space saver series. also when your testing how much water comes down form the tank to the sump for a power outage test, make sure you unplug the skimmer to as it holds water and will drain out to in the even of a power failure. I had a buddy that would just unplug his return pump to test the height and forgot about the water in the skimmer

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how the heck did I miss the octupus 150. great suggestion. the footprint dimension (length or width not sure) is 9.5" whereas mine is 10x10. however one of the corners has a half circle (for the sock/water intake) which cuts down dimesntions by 2". I wish these manufactures would simply put down the diameter at the base. So much easier to measure. Marine Depot does say body size is 6" and not sure what that refers to but I'll ask them.
I have the 150 on my 150 QT tank and love it. The base measures in at 11.25” x 7”. Mine is in a older Eshops RS200 sump and fits with no issues.

OP
OP
V

vogon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the skimmer feedback. The Trigger crystal 18" cube sump I have really has a small footprint for the skimmer department once you take into account decreased space needed for inlet pipe and sock. Bottom line is footprint and apparatus above the base can't be more than 5" x 5" otherwise it jams up against the sock, the inlet pipe and everything gets a bit too compact for my taste. Maaaaybe I can go to 5.5 x 5.5". The next smallest footprint I have found is the aforementioned Octupus sss but even that comes in at 6.1 x 7.87. I've attached 2 pics of my sump and skimmer

cad pls 100 skimmer.JPG

trigger sump.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back