Sump location suggestion

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short background. I have a 90g reef tank and am buying a new house and upgrading to a 300g tank.

I have the option to put the sump in the basement. Is it worth it, or should I just put the sump under the tank in the stand? With this large of a tank, I'm really torn which way to go.

Thanks for the suggestions.

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement all the way! I rebuilt my house recently and put the sump in the basement and love it. Tons of room to do maintenance, was able to put in a big sump with more water volume, and easy to see what’s going on with skimmer etc (don’t have to peer under the cabinet). You do need to spend more on a return pump, and the plumbing can be more challenging, but WAY worth it IMO. Also you can put the sump off the floor so you can use siphon to get detritus out of the sump.

Untitled by Peter Young, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is possible to put in the basement do it. Not being restricted for access to the sump will make adding, maintaining, servicing, and checking on it all easier, which in turn makes it all more likely to be done regularly. Their might be more work up front, plumbing and running electrical and stuff, but on the backend it will make for easier work. Good Luck and start a build thread for us!

Upvote 0

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford the upgraded return pump(s) & plumbing then choose basement! Better if you have a major plumbing leak, quieter, easier to work on, more space around it for other equipment.

Upvote 0

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, basement it is. I'll start doing math (I hate math, lol) and pricing pumps.
My advice on that is add in a good “fudge factor”. I used an Abyzz A200 return pump, figured it would take about 60% to overcome the head pressure and elbows etc, actually was 70% to start getting flow. Good luck!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sapper Ski

Sapper Ski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a pump that can be adjusted. Whatever size I think I need, I'll get the next size up and dial it back if needed.

Upvote 0

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, but I've always liked having my sump room behind the DT.
Maybe not the best for some with access to water and drains but I always like being able to move from room to room to see what's going on vs the thought of running up and down stairs if I'm fiddling with something.
Also requires not as large of a return pump.
But, having a sump in the basement elevated to working height is a definite plus.

Upvote 0

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a pump that can be adjusted. Whatever size I think I need, I'll get the next size up and dial it back if needed.
There aren't a lot of options for DC controllable pumps that can handle the head pressure of a basement sump. The Abyzz can do it but are way expensive compared to other options like Neptune Cor or Ecotec Vectra, but they can't handle the head pressure. I ended up going with the Abyzz, but plumbed in a Reeflo Hammerhead as an external backup since I couldn't afford to get a spare Abyzz (barely could afford the first one :p). The Reeflo could be an option for you if you wanted an external pump, just use a ball valve to throttle the flow back (it actually saves some energy $$ doing this according to Reeflo).

Upvote 0

airmotive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s always the option of running two smaller pumps in series. Most manufacturers publish their pump curve diagrams. You can (essentially) add their head pressures.

Upvote 0
Back