Sump Maintenance

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys do a full sump cleaning? Removing detritus build up, cleaning the skimmer body and pump, cleaning the return pump.

If trying to populate pods in the fuge with chaeto, do you just leave the detritus?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to grow chaeto and failed. After I turned off the white light, the sump became spotless. I added a Bubble Magnus Curve 5 to the second chamber. So now I run 2 skimmers in my sump and it remains really clean on its own. I rinse the skimmer cups when I cant see in them anymore. No scrubbing.
Cheers! Mark

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my skimmer once. Will never do that again. Too difficult to get it adjusted again.
I have never cleaned my sump in 2 years. I use filter socks. They do the heavy lifting, I do the washing.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beleive there are different camps to this, some like a really clean sump and do thorough cleanings but I've never done full sump cleaning, only return pump (2x/yr) and wipe clean inside of skimmer maybe once/month. My sump looks like a mess but it's hidden behind a wall so no one sees it and it doesn't bother me. Would be hesitant to completely clean it as there are tons of pods in the refugium section and often find pods in caulerpa while trimming them from sump.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned my skimmer once. Will never do that again. Too difficult to get it adjusted again.
I have never cleaned my sump in 2 years. I use filter socks. They do the heavy lifting, I do the washing.
Thats why I run a tunze 9410 dc! Just cleaned it after the first 6 months. Full clean with just hot water and to remove debris. Put it back in, turned it on and it skims. No adjustment needed.
On a lighter note I clean return pump and skimmer every 6 months. If there is debris on bottom I put a powerhead with hose going to filter sock and stir it up until its clean. Again every 6 months.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back