Sump Next to Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter kris1351
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kris1351

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2020
Messages
46
Reaction score
33
Location
DFW
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a WB 130.4 and was going to upgrade, but decided not to go that route. I ended up with a new Bashsea Pro 60 sump in the process and was wondering if there are any downsides to simply putting the sump in a cabinet or on the floor next to my tank and routing the drain and return pipes to it instead of the small sump under the tank. I have all the plumbing and an upgraded return pump already from the previous scratched project so can handle the extra length of return without issues. Sure would be nice to have a more easily accessible sump and more volume.


1757090775123.png
 
That's what I was thinking, all pipe was upgraded originally to the larger size and I don't use any of the stock WB plumbing. Not sure how much slope would be needed, could change my 90 out of the bottom of the tank to a 45 possibly.
 
That's what I was thinking, all pipe was upgraded originally to the larger size and I don't use any of the stock WB plumbing. Not sure how much slope would be needed, could change my 90 out of the bottom of the tank to a 45 possibly.
>=22.5 degrees is a good approximate number to shoot for!

Two 45 elbows can be used together to achieve slope angles <45 degrees, or you can order 22.5 degree elbows online!
 
Luckily I have all that pipe available. :) I was doing an upgrade to a 220.6 custom, but decided not to invest more here since we may move in the next couple of years. Having that sump in the garage though has been killing me, I even have a custom stand it could sit on. Maybe I could put a frag tank on it and dual tank the sump :)
 
That's what I was thinking, all pipe was upgraded originally to the larger size and I don't use any of the stock WB plumbing. Not sure how much slope would be needed, could change my 90 out of the bottom of the tank to a 45 possibly.
Drain slopes for home plumbing is only a quarter inch per foot ( if I remember correctly) so just 2 inches across 8 feet will keep the pipes clean and gravity keeps the water flowing. Any excess isn’t necessary, just a bonus to know that it is going to drain and not stop.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new