Sump or cabinet? RS Reefer vs WB Marine X

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there have been a couple posts about the Reefers and the Waterbox, sorry if this doesn’t really add much, but I haven’t seen this question posed in any of those threads.

I’m upgrading from a Biocube 16, and I have narrowed down my choices to the RS Reefer 350 and the WB Marine X 110.4.

As far as I can tell, they are very similar tanks with distinct pros and cons. I’m curious to know your opinions on the importance of the hardware vs the sump.

In favor of the WB:
Better plumbing (gate valve and unions)
Better cabinet (Plywood vs MDF; leveling feet for cabinet; leveling pad for tank)
Glass removable weir
Dual returns
Smaller return box and more display tank volume (79 vs 73)

In favor of the RS:
Refugium ready
Bigger ATO reservoir (4.7 vs 2.8)

ive heard a lot of you complain about small ATOs (strike WB) but also that it’s a PITA to have to remove the ATO for cleaning the sump (strike RS).

is it easy to convert the WB to refugium? I think I’d really like to have one down the road.

I’m really concerned about the RS cabinet sagging, not being level or wearing poorly from water damage since it is MDF.

so what’s your opinion? Is it more important to have a good cabinet or a refugium ready sump?

Any other opinions on RS and WB are welcome, but this is really what I’m stuck on. Everything else seems pretty similar.

I would consider the XL line from RS, which has the improved cabinet, but I want the 4-foot long, and my budget can’t spare the extra $500 for the 425XL. I also think the 95 total gallons is more than enough weight and volume for my situation.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Brakaan

Brakaan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there have been a couple posts about the Reefers and the Waterbox, sorry if this doesn’t really add much, but I haven’t seen this question posed in any of those threads.

I’m upgrading from a Biocube 16, and I have narrowed down my choices to the RS Reefer 350 and the WB Marine X 110.4.

As far as I can tell, they are very similar tanks with distinct pros and cons. I’m curious to know your opinions on the importance of the hardware vs the sump.

In favor of the WB:
Better plumbing (gate valve and unions)
Better cabinet (Plywood vs MDF; leveling feet for cabinet; leveling pad for tank)
Glass removable weir
Dual returns
Smaller return box and more display tank volume (79 vs 73)

In favor of the RS:
Refugium ready
Bigger ATO reservoir (4.7 vs 2.8)

ive heard a lot of you complain about small ATOs (strike WB) but also that it’s a PITA to have to remove the ATO for cleaning the sump (strike RS).

is it easy to convert the WB to refugium? I think I’d really like to have one down the road.

I’m really concerned about the RS cabinet sagging, not being level or wearing poorly from water damage since it is MDF.

so what’s your opinion? Is it more important to have a good cabinet or a refugium ready sump?

Any other opinions on RS and WB are welcome, but this is really what I’m stuck on. Everything else seems pretty similar.

I would consider the XL line from RS, which has the improved cabinet, but I want the 4-foot long, and my budget can’t spare the extra $500 for the 425XL. I also think the 95 total gallons is more than enough weight and volume for my situation.
Thanks!
Sorry, I realized this would be better posted on an existing thread. Mods can delete. If you want to answer, head over to https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-or-waterbox.799957/page-2

Thanks.

I'm still new at this forum thing.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back