Sump Pipework

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello

I purchased a ND Aquatics 6x2x2 tank with central weir and pipework. But they sent no instructions. I built my sump few weeks ago (tested for leaks ok) and I did the weir and sump pipework today.

I have a few questions...

Weir bulkheads. The weir pipes exit through the tank base and I noticed there was rubber 'washers' that went either side of the glass I thought the bulk heads should be hand tightened without additional solvents or silicone....was this correc? I tightened them so much my husband could not undo them afterwards, I must have strong girly hands. But now I am thinking I should have siliconed do them?

The solvent which came with the pipe work, it was strong stuff only gave me a 2 seconds before it was bonded and pipes had to be in right place within that time, Only one I ended up struggling with as it had to be twisted 10 seconds after I put it in. Was this a no no and how long does it take to cure before I can test fill?

I set my emergency overflow higher than the main drain overflow, which was opposite to a photo I found on ND website but made more sense to me.... Hope that was correct?

The pipe taps...they had washers and bolts that tightened over the inserted pipes....should they have been glued as well?

Sorry so many questions never done anything like this before, everything else was glued.

Thank you

image.jpeg

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Image of what I did...swapped tap onto main overflow drain and extended emergency overflow to just under hight of weir.

image.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never use silicone or anything else on bulkheads... They should be hand tightened like you did and maybe a 1/4 turn with channel locks to snug them up... The washers are the seals and work great.... Just put like a half inch of water in the tank and check for leaks before adding anything else... Sounds like you put them in correct so it shouldn't leak...

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.Troylee is correct about the weir bulkheads

2. in order for the emergency overflow to work solely as an emergency drain it must not be relied upon to handle water under normal operation. So yes raising it slightly above the main overflow is the correct thing to do. My recommendation is considering a Herbie overflow setup detailed better in : http://gmacreef.com/herbie-overflow-reef-tank-plumbing-method-basics/ . This system is designed to function with a dedicated emergency overflow and despite my own resistance to siphon based overflows, this blows durso standpipes out of the water for function and noise reduction. Since you are in the process of designing your plumbing this would be a simple change. You will need to put the valve on the main overflow in this system to tune the siphon. Just read through the above link and it will explain everything.

3. The ball valve/tap valve will needed need to be glued in both of the sockets that the pvc pipe is connecting to the valve body. The screw apart connections will not need glue, just the specific joints that the pvc pipe connects to the valve.

4. I find that pvc locks up very quickly when gluing if you are not using enough glue. My recommendation is apply the glue liberally enough to both pieces of the connection that when the fittings are pushed together a small bead of the glue is visible around the top of the connection when you mate the fittings. This will ensure that the fittings properly seat and seal.

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone!
Great links, think I might incorporate those so thanks for that for emergency over flow like the herbie design too.
Did a test fill with no equipment running tonight so far no drips! I will check in the morning see how it looks then try switching the pump on for 24 hours, then if all goes well drain it all down and refill with RO.

Fingers crossed wish me luck!

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITS ALIVE AND RUNNING NO LEAKS!

Happy happy joy joy! My first time 'plumbing'! Seriously feeling pleased with my ability to google and watch 'how too guides' on Ytube. Lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested for if had power cut and the sump holds the excess perfectly and then switch back on pump and all restarted.

Tested the emergency overflow and that's doing what it should too. Pheeeeew!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back