Sump pump???

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (~115 gallons total) is in my basement. I have a slop sink that drains into a sump/ejection pump. I do about a 20% water change every week and the old water goes into the slop sink. Should I be concerned about the affect of salt water on the sump pump? If so, is there anything I can do to minimize the corrosive affects of the saltwater on the pump? I know I could "flush" the sump with fresh water after I dump my old saltwater, but I think that would require far too much water to be wasted.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, just pump away.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (~115 gallons total) is in my basement. I have a slop sink that drains into a sump/ejection pump. I do about a 20% water change every week and the old water goes into the slop sink. Should I be concerned about the affect of salt water on the sump pump? If so, is there anything I can do to minimize the corrosive affects of the saltwater on the pump? I know I could "flush" the sump with fresh water after I dump my old saltwater, but I think that would require far too much water to be wasted.
If the sump pump was not designed for saltwater then I would be very concerned, it will corrode on you at likely the least opportune time. Not trying to sound harsh but saltwater is very corrosive and will destroy items designed for freshwater.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
But his sump pump isn’t only pumping saltwater is it.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sump pumps are designed not only for freshwater as a sump will collect all kind of stuff, chemicals comes to mind.
Now I don’t know what kind of pump he has but I assume it is one of the better ones

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump-pump from Lowe’s (about 4 years old)has been doing water change duty for 20 months with no issue. I woulded worry about it. The top of the pump that rarely get submerged does show significant rust, but all the parts below the water line look good.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back