Sump Question

Mickali

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g breeder tank that I am trying to make into a sump for my 75g reef tank. I am trying to make sure I get the best use out of it. I am currently planning on going with just a basic 3 chamber sump w/ a bubble trap, and am trying to get quotes from a few places for making the baffles. I was wondering what the best way to calculate the amount of space I will need for overflow water from my tank in the event of a power outage so that I can get the best estimate for the height of my baffles. Anyone able to give some advice?

Leslie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on using an internal or external skimmer? Use the recommendation for the skimmer. You can make your own, I got some acrylic from home depot and aquarium silicon. Made my own baffles.

OP
OP
M

Mickali

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you plan on using an internal or external skimmer? Use the recommendation for the skimmer. You can make your own, I got some acrylic from home depot and aquarium silicon. Made my own baffles.

My skimmer says 7-9 in, but I know you can use a stand to rise the sump up if the water level is too high. I just want to try and make sure I get as much volume as I can in the sump.

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For overall water volume (sump), my opinion is that you should have approximately 1/3 your DT's tank volume as your sump. For instance if you have a 60g display, you should roughly have 20g in your sump. From there you will just have to play around with baffle heights to ensure you get the right volume of water in each chamber. For your skimmer chamber, as mentioned above, make the baffle height whatever your skimmer water height recommendation is.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For overall water volume (sump), my opinion is that you should have approximately 1/3 your DT's tank volume as your sump. For instance if you have a 60g display, you should roughly have 20g in your sump. From there you will just have to play around with baffle heights to ensure you get the right volume of water in each chamber. For your skimmer chamber, as mentioned above, make the baffle height whatever your skimmer water height recommendation is.

In what way does the water care if it's in a "sump" or in a "display tank"? Is a 60+20 system better than a 50+30?

In my opinion the sump can be as big as you want or as small as you want as long as it will fit the equipment and systems you want it to fit. The sump is just a container, it's what you put in it that is important.

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to Lowe's if you have one near and have them cut the pieces for you I have 1/4 inch glass for baffles. Silicone for aquariums and sonething to lift and space out baffles you're set.

20160412_125217.jpg

20160405_191943.jpg

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what way does the water care if it's in a "sump" or in a "display tank"? Is a 60+20 system better than a 50+30?

In my opinion the sump can be as big as you want or as small as you want as long as it will fit the equipment and systems you want it to fit. The sump is just a container, it's what you put in it that is important.

That’s why I said in my opinion, You have yours and I have mine. No need to get hostile over an opinion.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 98 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back