Sump Questions

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade my sump and am wondering if anyone has found one with an option to have a larger frag section with the possibility of housing a few fish/cleanup crew without being sucked up in the return pump or skimmer? I currently have a Trigger Rollermat Sump 30 and use the refugium section as a small frag tank. However I can't keep a cleanup crew or fish in there due to them being able to move between the sections and get sucked up by the skimmer/return pump. My DT is a Fiji Cube 81gal. I am looking for something with a rollermat or the ability to add a rollermat and a large frag area. I am open to DIY, custom made, or any other suggestions.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a look at the Red Sea Reefer 900 3XL, they feature a sump design that I believe is along the lines of what you want to achieve. The overflow and return chamber are actually on the left front/rear side of the sump, and the water passes to the right along the front, down and then along the back to the left. It has a separate sump with "in" and "out" connections that you could probably put a mesh grid over.

new-features-mob-2.png

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to upgrade my sump and am wondering if anyone has found one with an option to have a larger frag section with the possibility of housing a few fish/cleanup crew without being sucked up in the return pump or skimmer? I currently have a Trigger Rollermat Sump 30 and use the refugium section as a small frag tank. However I can't keep a cleanup crew or fish in there due to them being able to move between the sections and get sucked up by the skimmer/return pump. My DT is a Fiji Cube 81gal. I am looking for something with a rollermat or the ability to add a rollermat and a large frag area. I am open to DIY, custom made, or any other suggestions.
I'd go buy a used low boy and plumb it into the current system if you have space. Anything other than DIY sumps seem to be a brutal pocket book hit. How could more water be bad? lol.

Your biggest concern is available space either under the tank or near the tank. You'll have to have a pretty beefy light shoved under the cabinet and I could see heat buildup as an issue with the light and all that equipment.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go buy a used low boy and plumb it into the current system if you have space. Anything other than DIY sumps seem to be a brutal pocket book hit. How could more water be bad? lol.

Your biggest concern is available space either under the tank or near the tank. You'll have to have a pretty beefy light shoved under the cabinet and I could see heat buildup as an issue with the light and all that equipment.
I should have mentioned my sump is in the basement under the tank so space down there isn't a huge issue. I don't have room on the main level for another tank either unfortunately. My sump is currently sitting on a stand about 3.5 feet tall.

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a look at the Red Sea Reefer 900 3XL, they feature a sump design that I believe is along the lines of what you want to achieve. The overflow and return chamber are actually on the left front/rear side of the sump, and the water passes to the right along the front, down and then along the back to the left. It has a separate sump with "in" and "out" connections that you could probably put a mesh grid over.

new-features-mob-2.png
That looks like it would work for sure! I'm not sure if I can just buy a sump from them or not. Something I can look in to.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally would get standard tank and install baffles to my liking. Would then get a separate tank as your other “section” for frags or whatever that runs off the same dump

OP
OP
nlutfi

nlutfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally would get standard tank and install baffles to my liking. Would then get a separate tank as your other “section” for frags or whatever that runs off the same dump
What would be the best way to tie in the separate tank?

Back