Sump/Refug plumbing layout

desert_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So total newb here. Currently planning / building my new tank setup. I’m looking for advice on how to plumb the sump & refugium.

Im using a 40g breeder and have a Icecap 24 Sump. The sump layout does not allow for a refugium so I will be building an external 10g refugium. So I’ll need to get water from the sump into the refugium before returned to the tank. This is how I plan the water flow to go. Is this ok? Is there a better route?

Tank overflow ➡️ Sump w/ Filter Sock ➡️ Skimmer Tank ➡️ Sump Return Tank but then pumped ➡️ External Refugium ➡️ Refugium Return Tank ➡️ Back to Tank

Hope that makes sense. I’m obviously planning proper plumbing fixtures (ie check valves, ball valves, emergency overflow, etc)

Be nice, I’m new lol

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there @desert_reefer , we're all new at some point so let's see what it is you're thinking. From what I've read into this you're going from the DT (display tank) to the Sump by gravity. (The sump consisting of the filter sock chamber, skimmer chamber and the return pump chamber. Also includes the fresh water reservoir but that's not important for this question.) From there you plan on using a pump to move the water to the Refugium (which will consist of External Refugium chamber and the Refugium return chamber). From there are you thinking of using a second pump to move the water back to the DT? You may (or shall I say "definitely will") find it difficult to balance the two pumps to the same flow rate. Or are you going to mount the Refugium higher than the DT and let gravity bring the water to the DT?

OP
OP
desert_reefer

desert_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. I was thinking of pumping water from sump return to refugium. Then pump to DT. I see what your saying tho.

What would you suggest? Other option I was thinking was to split the overflow sending half the water to sump and half to refugium. I could then gravity feed refugium return to sump return so I’m only using one pump to go back to DT

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in having the refugium mounted higher than the sump, then using an overflow from the refugium to the sump? That could work.

OP
OP
desert_reefer

desert_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I can plenty of room under the DT.

How would you plumb this? I would really love to have the refugium as part of the system

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I can plenty of room under the DT.

How would you plumb this? I would really love to have the refugium as part of the system
Your refugium will work best if you feed it dirty water, at least as dirty as what enters the skimmer chamber before skimming. Some actually prefer to feed their fuge with unfiltered water straight from the drain.

Whatever gravity feed you use to return from the fuge to the sump you'll appreciate a coarse screen filter and use two separate drains. Never put all your eggs in one gravitational basket, have backup.

OP
OP
desert_reefer

desert_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’ve read tons of articles on whether the refugium should sit before or after skimmer. It’s like the argument of which came first, the chicken or the egg.

Honestly refugium gravity fed from DT then gravity fed to Sump seems like a good option as well. But the argument of copepod being destroyed comes to play

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How I would plumb it may differ from what you may do due to space constraints for each of us. I do think you're on the right track though. Using some open cell foam type filter going from the refugium to the sump will trap loose chaeto but still allow pods to crawl through. I never felt that the argument for where the skimmer is meant much because nobody sends 100% of the flow through the skimmer each and every time. (Gotta go eat dinner, see ya tomorrow.)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back