Sump Return plumbing

Discussion in 'General Equipment, Hardware, Filtration' started by fishstix, Dec 31, 2017.

1. fishstix

fishstix Active Member

Plumbing my new tank, and the return pump will be plumbed to go into a bulkhead in the sump. What the best way to do this? I plan on using several unions, but wondering if I should have the bulkhead threaded on the inside of the sump for plumbing or slip? What about the bulkhead where I plan to go up from the sump? I was thinking threaded inside sump and slip outside.

What do you guys do?

Thanks

Tags:

2. jkapit

jkapit Member NJRC Member

IMO you can do it either way. Just make sure the rubber washer is against the flat side of the bulkhead and the nut is against the sump wall. The rings on the rubber washer should be against the sump wall and the flat side of the washer against the bulkhead.

Here is a pic of how mine is setup for external pumps....

D8F0C840-1DC5-4A62-AE10-C689CAA56151.jpeg

3. mfinn

mfinn likes zoanthids R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I used threaded outside and slip inside.

[​IMG]

4. fishstix

fishstix Active Member

Thanks all for the feedback, don't think I was clear though. My return pump is inside of the sump and the bulkhead is on top of the sump. I was thinking of doing slip on both sides.

5. Pivitol

Pivitol Active Member

How much room do you have between the pump exit and the bulkhead? If there is enough room I would do slip connections with a union in between for easy maintenance.

6. fishstix

fishstix Active Member

I have enough room for a union so I think you are correct going with union on top is best, do you suggest doing same on the bottom as well slip with union?

Thanks

Draft saved Draft deleted