Sump return pump size help

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I got a Pro Clear Aquatic Ultra rs100 sump. It's rated for up to 400 gph. Im having a hard time finding which return pump I need for this. It will be traveling 4-4.5' from my sump back to my tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What overflow do you have? That's what determines your pump size....being able to handle the return flow to the sump.

Reef Therapist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you want AC or DC? AC pumps are tried and true but DC pumps have more features. Most manufactures have a graph of GPH at the head height. Which for you would be 5 ft plus one foot for every elbow, Roughly. I have always gotten an oversized pump and had a gate valve on the output to dial in what I need. My current system is using a fluvel SP series pump and Jacod DC pump. 2 pumps are insurance if one fails which I am on my second Jacod pump in as many years. Next DC pump will be a reef octo or ecotech. Too much reliability problems with the Jacod.

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This day in age, a quality AC pump will run roughly the same as a standard DC pump. To respond to the therapist: I personally have the new generation Jebao Sine Wave pump and I cannot give it enough praise, it's quiet and has an incredible amount of torque--even at low power. I'm using a DCP10000 on the lowest setting in my Reefer450 and it's more than enough flow whilst drawing 19 watts. As for reliability, a friend of mine has two of them that are 3 years, never touched nor cleaned, working flawlessly; this is one case out of many so should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, sump flow is subjective and if you want to get all 400gph rushing through there with some power to spare I'd say something like a Sicce 3.0 would be perfect. You can always add a gate valve to restrict the flow, and a few more for future intergrations.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This day in age, a quality AC pump will run roughly the same as a standard DC pump. To respond to the therapist: I personally have the new generation Jebao Sine Wave pump and I cannot give it enough praise, it's quiet and has an incredible amount of torque--even at low power. I'm using a DCP10000 on the lowest setting in my Reefer450 and it's more than enough flow whilst drawing 19 watts. As for reliability, a friend of mine has two of them that are 3 years, never touched nor cleaned, working flawlessly; this is one case out of many so should be taken with a grain of salt.

That being said, sump flow is subjective and if you want to get all 400gph rushing through there with some power to spare I'd say something like a Sicce 3.0 would be perfect. You can always add a gate valve to restrict the flow, and a few more for future intergrations.

I have a Sicce Syncra and you actually don't need a gate valve! It has a little knob by the output that lets you control it

AquaART

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sicce Syncra and you actually don't need a gate valve! It has a little knob by the output that lets you control it

Very true, but from my experience, although I have never tried this with the Sicce, a pump runs quieter and is more efficient when the flow is restricted on the output end rather than the input.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumors have it that Neptune Systems in coming out with their long awaited COR return pump that was first announced about 2 years ago. Due Macna '17 with 2 competitively priced models the optionally standalone DC driven centrifuge is submersible or non-submersible. The American-made force is feed-mode featured and of course dry run shut-off coupled with variable speeds. If you don't operate the COR by itself, connecting one to an Apex gives you almost limitless flexable capabilities as far as aquarium controllers go. If you plan to get an Apex down the road, meanwhile the return flow for your mid-sized tank is accomplished by the pump and it's included control box.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a sump rated up to 400 gph, I need to get a return pump that will do around 600 gph and use a gate valve to dial it down? Or so I need to get a 1000 gph because I'm getting a 800 gph overflow. Sorry for the stupid questions. I really appreciate everybody's help a lot.

OP
OP
Jayson Ledbetter

Jayson Ledbetter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon, I've already ordered the pro clear aqua ultra Rs100 sump, haven't ordered the hob over flow yet, but looking at the cpr 100 Dx that comes with aqualift pump and cover for the overflow box.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
100 gallon, I've already ordered the pro clear aqua ultra Rs100 sump, haven't ordered the hob over flow yet, but looking at the cpr 100 Dx that comes with aqualift pump and cover for the overflow box.
Most people will figure a return pump that can pump 5x to 10x the tank volume.
I like a little slower flow. With a 100 gallon tank, I would use a pump that ( after head loss) delivered 500-600 gallons per hour.
Something like Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0.
Maybe a Sicce 4.0.

If it were my tank, I'd figure a way to drill it.

Reef Therapist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with a sump rated up to 400 gph, I need to get a return pump that will do around 600 gph and use a gate valve to dial it down? Or so I need to get a 1000 gph because I'm getting a 800 gph overflow. Sorry for the stupid questions. I really appreciate everybody's help a lot.
You just cant take the pumps stated rating on the box as this is with 0 head loss. If you look on the spec sheet PDF for sicce pumps at 4'9" the 3.0 would push just about 400gph. If I were you I would look to the next model up and gate it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back