Sump set up / order

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In pre manufactured sumps (like a trigger system), the protein skimmer chamber is “first”, then a refug area, then the return pump area.

Do you have to use that order? Can you use the first (larger chamber for refug) and second (smaller) chamber for protein skimmer?

Or if choosing not to do a refug; skimmer in first chamber, what would you put in second chamber?

Thank you.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe must people put skimmer Before fuge so it doesn’t kill any copepods and such. My sump has them separate: water comes from display - some goes to skimmer section, some to fuge. The fuge and skimmer section drain into the return pump section. I like this because fuge gets all the Nutrients before their skimmed out . I have the eshops r-100 sump.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. And thank you. Research lead me to the “triton” method. Which to me (and I may be completely off), seems to just be a specific company dosing major / minor trace elements product along with a larger refug (10% tank volume), high quality refuge light, and a return pump at least 10x flow rate. The set up seems to have refuge first and skimmer second. But like you mentioned, I also read for standard sump set up how you describe. So does the specific triton products (chemicals) do something that radically different than other trace element products on the market that require refuge first and skimmer second.

I ask for education and better understanding. I have never ran a sump before. I am in planning stages, and debating a refug or not. At first seemed more trouble than it was worth, but if the space is there, why not try? So many choices. Thanks again. I would appreciate any further input from anybody!

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a refugium is a great filter and on today’s reefs I think it’s pretty much standard. It helps reduce and export nutrients in a natural way, as well as provides a place for copepods etc. to thrive and feed the tank.

I have never used the Triton method but I think their trace elements are same as many others- except it’s labeled for their program. You mail in water tests and they send you recommendations on what to dose. There are no home test kits for most trace elements, and using the triton method I believe you don’t do water changes unless recommended to do so, and you dose trace as they recommend. Seems to take the guess work out of it. But there are many many reefers that keep amazing reef tanks that do not use this method and there are many other good paths to take as well. As long as the outcome is the same I think it’s a matter of preference.

I dont think the the skimmer being before or after the fuge has anything to do with trace elements or dosing but more for the copepod population to not get stuck In the skimmer- hence many people put skimmer before fuge or separate from fuge.

I am no expert and I could be wrong but this is my experience. Hope this helps. Take care

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 43.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 121 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 23 9.1%
Back